This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Crispy Corn Flake Chicken Recipe is such a delicious chicken dish. Tender chicken thighs oven fried with a crispy corn flake coating makes a tasty chicken dinner that is a family winner!
This recipe is a great way to change up the chicken scene! Chicken is a go to protein in our house, but it can get boring sometimes. We love to have this corn flake chicken, and it is definitely not boring. Chicken thighs get super tender from a quick buttermilk marinade and super crispy from an easy corn flake coating. Then they are oven baked to perfection!
If you are looking for another way to use extra corn flakes, which happens to be one of my favorite ingredients, check out these recipes: No bake Scotch-A-Roos, Corn Flake Chicken Tenders, and No Bake Scotch Cookies.
This post was originally posted on 05/04/2015 and updated on 05/07/2021.
Corn Flake Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skinless
- Corn Flakes
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Thighs: You can substitute with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, or drumsticks.
- Buttermilk: If you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own at home with milk and lemon juice or vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a measuring cup and then add milk to the 1 cup line. Let the buttermilk sit for at least 5 minutes then use as the recipe directs.
- Corn Flakes: Panko crumbs or crushed crackers can be used.
How to Make Oven Fried Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
- Place chicken thighs in a marinade tray or zip top bag. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add the buttermilk to the chicken.
- Marinate chicken in fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Place crushed corn flakes, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper in a tray or zip top bag. (A bag works so much easier because you can shake it like you mean it, and clean up is a breeze.)
- Remove chicken from marinade and let excess drip off.
- Add the chicken to the crumb mixture and shake it until it is evenly coated, pressing the chicken down into the crumb mixture to adhere it well.
- Place coated chicken on a lightly greased baking rack sitting on a baking sheet.
- Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Spray the chicken with olive oil spray.
- Bake chicken at 400°F for 45 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for Corn Flake Chicken
- If using boneless chicken thighs or breasts, reduce bake time to 30-35 minutes.
- Use a food processor to crush corn flakes or crush them in a zip top bag with a rolling pin. In size they should be in between fine and course crumbs.
- If the corn flake crumbs are not sticking as well as you want, spray the chicken with a little olive oil and press into the corn flakes again.
- This recipe calls for skinless chicken, if you prefer you can leave the skin on.
What to Serve with Corn Flake Chicken?
We love to serve this chicken with a vegetable and usually some sort of potato dish. Here are some of our favorites:
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Oven Fries
- Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Roasted Carrots
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus
FAQs About Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
Yes, cornflakes are a great substitute for breadcrumbs. Any grain based, not sweetened cereal can replace breadcrumbs.
Reheat in a 350°F oven or toaster oven just until warmed through. Another option is to use an air fryer preheated to 375°F to reheat the chicken until warmed all the way through. You can also reheat in the microwave but the coating tends to get soggy.
Spray the chicken with olive oil spray and cook the chicken on a rack on a baking sheet so the heat can circulate around the chicken.
More Family Winning Chicken Dinners:
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Broccoli Chicken
- Chicken and Noodles
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
- Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken
Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place chicken in zip top bag or marinade tray and season with some salt and pepper.
- Pour buttermilk over chicken. Seal bag and toss to coat chicken.
- Marinate in fridge for at least an hour up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 400°F once ready to prepare chicken.
- Place corn flakes, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in another zip top bag or flat dish.
- Remove chicken from marinade shaking off the excess.
- Place chicken one at a time in the corn flake mix, shake to coat and press the chicken into the crumbs.
- Place coated chicken on sprayed rack placed on a baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Lightly spray chicken with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply