This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crock Pot Pizza Chicken is going to be your new go to family dinner. It has all the flavors of pizza, is super easy thanks to the crock pot, low carb because there is no crust, and so insanely delicious!
This recipe is a huge hit among any pizza fans. It is filled with all the things pizza except the crust making it easy on the waistline. It is so versatile and can be made with all your favorite pizza toppings. Plus, can we say easy? This is the easiest dump and go dinner recipe ever!
I developed this recipe when we were out of a stove/oven for almost a month. It was a very long month! You never realize how much you use something until you can't use it. I found a new appreciation for my range along with my grill and crock pot. We ate a lot of crock pot food that month and grilled once or twice a week as well. I made a lot of our favorites, but also did some experimenting with new recipes. Welcome crock pot pizza chicken, it's fabulous!
This post was originally posted on 04/06/2015 and updated on 03/29/2021.
Crock Pot Pizza Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: boneless, skinless
- Pizza Sauce
- Pepperoni Slices
- Green Bell Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Black Olives
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Chicken Breast: I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breast but you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Pizza Sauce: Store bought or homemade sauce both work. I like to use my No Cook Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe.
- Pepperoni Slices: Pepperoni is my kids favorite pizza topping, but this recipe is so versatile you could use whatever pizza toppings you like. Canadian Bacon, crumbled or sliced Italian sausage or bacon are yummy options. Turkey pepperoni slices work too.
- Green Pepper: feel free to use your favorite veggies for this recipe. Any color bell pepper will work, add a jalapeño for a little heat, and mushrooms would be delicious too!
- Mozzarella Cheese: we prefer the classic mozzarella, but any good melting cheese will work: cheddar, Monterey jack, fontina, provolone are all good options.
How to Make Pizza Topped Chicken in Slow Cooker
- Chop pepper and onions and place in bottom of crock pot.
- Add a layer of 20 pepperoni slices on top of veggies.
- Place chicken breasts on top of pepperoni slices and season with salt, pepper and Italian Seasoning.
- Pour the pizza sauce over the chicken breast.
- Add black olives on top of the sauce and another layer of 20 pepperoni slices.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. Low setting creates the best chicken.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with shredded mozzarella cheese and the remaining pepperoni slices.
- Cover crock pot and cook an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
How to Serve Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
- For a low carb meal, serve it as is with your favorite side dishes. We like a green salad and roasted vegetables such as: Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower, Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, or Carrots.
- Place it on top of flat bread, tortillas, or Garlic Bread.
- Cook some pasta according to package directions, shred the pizza chicken with some tongs right in the crock pot and stir in the pasta.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
FAQs About Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
The biggest tip for not drying out chicken breasts is to always cook on low setting. I have tried cooking chicken breasts on high and they tend to dry out.
Yes, this recipe calls for raw chicken. The crock pot will cook the chicken at a high enough heat to kill any bacteria. For safety and ease of mind, check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F before eating.
If the chicken is tough its probably over cooked. Chicken breasts cook best on low setting for only 4-6 hours. Best way to avoid dry overcooked chicken is to cook the chicken breasts for 4 hours on low and then set the crock pot to warm.
Chicken has a lot of natural moisture so there is no need to add extra liquid unless you are making a soup or stew.
More Family Friendly Crock Pot Recipes:
Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 3-4 large breasts
- 14 oz pizza sauce, or homemade sauce
- 50 slices pepperoni, or turkey pepperoni
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives, or more if you prefer
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Place peppers and onions on bottom of crock pot.
- Add a layer of 20 pepperoni slices.
- Place chicken on top of pepperoni.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and Italian seasoning over chicken breasts.
- Pour pizza sauce over the chicken.
- Add black olives on top of pizza sauce.
- Add another layer of 20 pepperoni slices.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.
- Before you serve, sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining pepperoni. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes to let cheese completely melt.
- Serve as is or over tortillas, flatbread, garlic bread, salad or cooked pasta.