This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Sweet Potato Casserole is topped with a crunchy pecan streusel and finished off with toasted marshmallows. A creamy and delightful side dish that is festive enough for the holiday dinner table and delicious enough to eat all year long!
A very good friend of mine introduced me to this delicious casserole. I had only had sweet potatoes a few other ways before this and let me tell you, this casserole is by far the most flavorful way I have ever had. It is so good and so sweet, which is perfect for me and my family! She willingly shared the recipe with me and I, like I normally do, made a few simple tweaks. Nothing crazy, but I cook my potatoes in the Instant Pot instead of boiling them which is a huge game changer. No boiling water needed! I also added marshmallows because it's just not a holiday sweet potato dish unless marshmallows are involved. Even with a few a changes involved, all the credit goes to my dear friend, whom also gave me permission to share the recipe. Yes!
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
- Mini Marshmallows
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Making sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot couldn't be any easier. I will break it down for you.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot along with the trivet.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork 6-8 times.
- Place the potatoes on the trivet, go ahead and stack them to make them fit.
- Secure lid and turn valve to sealing.
- Set Instant Pot on high pressure for 18 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 10 minutes, then carefully move the valve to venting.
- Once the float valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot to off.
- Ta da!!! Cooked Sweet Potatoes. Let the potatoes cool enough to handle.
- Once cooled, you can simply peel the skin off the potatoes with your hands.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can peel and boil the potatoes for about 25-30 minutes, pierce them and bake them at 400° for an hour, or pierce them and pop them in the microwave for 15-20 minutes.
Can I use Canned Sweet Potatoes or Yams?
You most certainly can! You will have to drain them well and make sure you have enough to make at least 5-6 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
Step 1: Make the Sweet Potato Filling
Mash the peeled and cooked sweet potatoes in a large bowl and then add the brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix thoroughly.
Step 2: Make the Streusel Topping
In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans and melted butter. Mix well.
Step 3: Assemble Casserole
Spread the sweet potatoes evenly into a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the pecan streusel topping.
Step 4: Bake the Casserole
Bake the casserole in a 375° oven for 20 minutes.
Step 5: Add the Marshmallows
Add the marshmallows on top of the hot casserole and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the marshmallows are puffy and slightly golden brown.
Can Sweet Potato Casserole be Made Ahead of Time
Yes! This is another reason I love this casserole! Make and assemble the casserole (minus the marshmallows) 1-2 days before needed, cover and store in fridge. When ready to bake, bring the casserole to room temperature and follow baking directions.
More Holiday Worthy Side Dish Recipes
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- No Knead Dinner Rolls
- Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- Homemade Stuffing
- Easy Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Easy Sugared Cranberries
- Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
Give this creamy and delicious Sweet Potato Casserole a try this holiday season and let me know how much everyone enjoys it in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Filling
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Add the trivet and 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Pierce sweet potatoes with fork 6-8 times. Place sweet potatoes on trivet, go ahead and stack them. Secure lid and set pot to high pressure for 18 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release. Turn off the Instant Pit and remove lid. Let potatoes cool long enough to be able to handle. Peel skin off potatoes with your hands.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, mash cooked and peeled sweet potatoes and stir in brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and heavy cream.
- In a medium bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients: brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans and melted butter.
- Spread the sweet potato filling in a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the casserole and bake for another 5-10 minutes until marshmallows are puffy and slightly golden brown.
Leave a Reply