This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Homemade Green Bean Casserole is a classic holiday recipe made from scratch with an easy creamy béchamel sauce, green beans and fried onions. An irresistible side dish everyone is going to love!
This recipe is a classic holiday side dish that my family goes crazy for. Since I've ditched processed canned soups and foods years ago I needed to develop a homemade version. Believe it or not this recipe is so much better and more flavorful than the processed version! I still made it easy and quick to put together, but it is even more delicious than I remember it being as a kid.
This post was originally posted on 11/13/2020 and updated on 11/3/2021.
Homemade Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Sliced Button Mushrooms (optional)
- Salted Butter
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Canned Green Beans
- French Fried Onions
- Button Mushrooms: Button mushrooms are cheap and easily accessible year round, so I tend to use those often. However, you can use whichever mushrooms are in season or are your favorite.
- All Purpose Flour: Wheat flour or white whole wheat flour can be used.
- Milk: I usually use 2% cows milk. Whole milk or an unsweetened milk can be used.
- Canned Green Beans: I like to use canned cut green beans for this recipe. It is just what I prefer, but you can use canned french style green beans, frozen green beans or even fresh. If using frozen, thaw and drain them first. For fresh green beans, they will need to be parboiled before adding to the sauce.
- French Fried Onions: I have not perfected a homemade version of fried onions yet. I use a brand that has the least amount of ingredients. Only needs to have: onions, wheat flour, oil and salt. Literally that's all they are.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the diced mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes until browned and soft.
- Sprinkle the flour and seasonings over the mushrooms and stir them together. Cook another 1-2 minutes to remove the taste of raw flour.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring constantly. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Takes about 2-3 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Stir in the drained canned green beans and 1 cup of the french fried onions.
- Spread the casserole into a 8x8 or 2 quart baking dish.
- Evenly top with remaining french fried onions.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole
This is a great recipe to make ahead. You can assemble the whole casserole the day before and have it ready to just pop in the oven. Follow all the steps up until its time to bake. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and store in fridge until ready to bake and serve.
This casserole can also be frozen. Make the casserole as instructed except do not add the fried onions on top. Let the casserole completely cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Label and date the casserole.
To bake the frozen casserole: remove the foil and plastic. Add a new foil cover and bake the covered casserole at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until the casserole is warmed through. Increase the oven to 375°F and remove the foil. Add the fried onions on top and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the casserole is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
More Holiday Worthy Side Dishes:
- Honey Glazed Garlic Carrots
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- No Knead Dinner Rolls
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits
- Roasted Asparagus
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Easy Dinner Rolls
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- 2 oz button mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 28 ounces canned green beans, drained, (2-14.5 oz cans)
- 2 cups french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add diced mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper over the mushrooms and stir together, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the milk while whisking.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened and sauce coats the back of spoon, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in green beans and 1 cup of the fried onions.
- Spread into an 8x8 or 2 quart baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining cup of fried onions on top.
- Bake casserole for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
Leave a Reply