This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Roasted Asparagus gets a little extra attention because it is full of tasty garlic and lemon flavor then oven roasted to perfection. It's a quick and easy side dish that is delicious with any main entrée!
Not only are roasted vegetables a perfect side dish with dinner, they are so simple to make! Just a little olive oil, salt, black pepper and your favorite seasonings is all you need. Toss it all together and roast them until they're crisp and perfect.
Roasted vegetables are on the menu multiple times a week at our house. We really love Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Ranch Roasted Potatoes.
This post was originally posted on 4/19/2020 and updated on 8/04/2021.
Roasted Asparagus Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Zest of Lemon
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil: Any other light oil can be used: avocado, canola, or grapeseed oil.
- Lemon Juice & Zest: Lemon is optional but adds so much freshness and brightness to the veggies. Don't have a lemon, an orange will work too.
- Variations: Add your favorite seasonings to the asparagus. Garlic powder and onion powder are great together. For a little kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes. Serving them along side some pasta, add a little Italian seasoning to the veggies. Going for more of a ranch flavor mix the asparagus with some dill, parsley, garlic and onion powder.
How to Prepare and Roast the Asparagus
You will need to separate the woody part of the asparagus from the flavorful and juicy part. Using both hands and your index fingers and thumbs, hold one asparagus stalk. Bend the asparagus gently until it breaks naturally. Where it breaks is where you want to trim the rest of the asparagus bunch.
- Once the asparagus is trimmed, wash it and pat it dry.
- Place the asparagus on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle the asparagus with the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Toss the asparagus with tongs or your hands and spread out into a single layer.
- Sprinkle with some salt and black pepper.
- Bake the asparagus in a preheated 400°F oven for 25-30 minutes and until the asparagus tips have gotten nice and crispy. Simple as that!
What to Serve with Roasted Asparagus
Roasted asparagus pairs well with any protein, but it is also super delicious along side a bowl of pasta. Here are some of our favorites:
- Spaghetti Shrimp
- Simple Roasted Chicken
- Grilled Spiced Pork Chops
- Grandma's Famous Meatloaf
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
Roasted Asparagus Tips
- Trim the asparagus. The ends are tough, woody and not pleasant to eat.
- After the asparagus is washed, pat it dry. Dry it well so it can get nice and crispy in the oven. If it is still wet the asparagus will steam instead of brown.
- Don't over crowd the sheet pan. Place the asparagus in a single layer so each piece can get crisp and it will all cook evenly. If needed, use 2 sheet pans and rotate them half way through the bake time.
FAQs About Roasted Asparagus
Yes, wash the asparagus well and then pat it really dry.
Most cases if the asparagus is stringy it wasn't trimmed enough or the asparagus was harvested to late.
Roasted and sautéed asparagus are healthy ways to eat the green veggie. It can also be served raw in a salad, but most often you'll find the veggie cooked. Steamed, blanched and grilled are also healthy ways to enjoy asparagus.
More Roasted Vegetable Side Dishes:
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Easy Roasted Carrots
- Crispy Oven Fries
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Oven Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- 1 bunch asparagus, or 2 depending on size of stalks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it.
- Trim the asparagus, wash and pat dry.
- Place asparagus on baking sheet.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and lemon zest. Toss to coat all the asparagus.
- Spread asparagus out into a single layer.
- Sprinkle the asparagus with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes and until the tips of the asparagus appear crispy.
Leave a Reply