This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crispy Oven Fries are simple and quick to prepare and create the most amazing crispy potato wedges that are oven baked to perfection. These potatoes are going to be the greatest side dish to all your favorite sandwiches and burgers. Guaranteed!
This may be hard to believe, but these Crispy Oven Fries are so simple and require minimal ingredients. Just a few ingredients you probably already have on hand is all you will need to score the winning point and make your family proud with these delicious oven fried potato wedges. They are the perfect accompaniment to yours and your family's favorite entrée.
We also love these other potato side dishes: Ranch Roasted Potatoes, Oven Roasted Potatoes, Instant Pot Baked Potatoes and Smashed Potatoes.
This post was originally posted on 10/01/2019 and updated on 07/14/2021.
Ingredients for Crispy Oven Fries
- Russet Baking Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Dried Parsley
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Russet Baking Potatoes: Russet baking potatoes are larger, easier to cut into wedges and create nice long wedges for dipping. However, any size Russet potato will work. Yukon Gold potatoes will work too.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil works best for flavor. Any neutral oil like canola, vegetable or avocado can be substituted.
- Parsley, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder: Feel free to season the potatoes with your favorite flavors. Taco, Cajun, Chili Powder, or Ranch are all good flavors!
How to Make Crispy Oven Fries
- First step, scrub those potatoes clean and cut into 1 inch wedges. I like to get 8 wedges per potato.
- Then add potato wedges to a large zip top bag or bowl.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and add the seasonings.
- Shake bag or toss potatoes in bowl to evenly coat all the potato wedges.
- Next, place potatoes in a single layer on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet.
- Bake the potatoes at 400°F close to the heat source (bottom rack for my oven) and bake for 30-40 minutes turning over half way through.
Tips For Crunchy Potato Wedges
- Cut the potatoes in 1 inch thick wedges making sure they are all about the same size so they all cook evenly.
- Keep them in a single layer on the sheet pan so they all can cook evenly and crisp up. If they are piled up on top of each other, they will steam and be soggy.
- Don't skimp on the oil. Use it all and make sure all the potatoes are coated. The olive oil and high heat from the oven are what will make the potatoes crispy.
- To get extra crispy fries, soak the cut potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes to remove the starch. Then drain water and dry off potatoes with a towel. Follow with the recipe directions. The potatoes will turn out more crispy. When I have extra time I'll soak the potatoes, but most often I'm making these to go with a quick sandwich and won't soak them. They still turn out crispy and delicious.
What to Serve with Crispy Oven Fries
This baked oven fry recipe is delicious paired with almost any entrée. Here are some of our favorites:
FAQs About Crispy Oven Fries
Best way to get crispy oven fries in the oven is to cut the potatoes all the same size, don't skimp on the oil, place in single layer on sheet pan and bake them at 400°F or higher near the heat source in your oven.
To prevent soggy fries, bake them in a single layer at high heat. Letting the fries overlap on the sheet pan will steam the fries making them soggy.
This is a great method when making thin fries and ultra crispy potatoes. It is not necessary but will result in extra crispy fries. Soak them for 30 minutes to remove starch, then dry off with towel. Then follow seasoning and baking directions.
You can crisp up leftover fries by placing them in a 400°F oven and bake them for 10-15 minutes until warmed through and crisp.
Other Easy Side Dishes:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Broccoli
- Easy Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
- Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Oven Roasted Corn with Husks
Crispy Oven Fries
- 6 large Russet baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or grease with non-stick spray.
- Scrub and clean potatoes. Cut potatoes into 1 inch wedges (about 8 wedges per potato) and place in a large zip top bag or bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add all seasonings.
- Shake bag or toss in bowl to evenly coat potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Put in oven close to the heat source and bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping potatoes half way through baking.
- Once finished cooking, sprinkle with a touch of additional salt.
Leave a Reply