This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts are a healthy and easy side dish that is on the table in 30 minutes. They are tossed in some pantry staples and oven roasted until caramelized and tender.
If you are known to turn your nose up to brussels sprouts then this recipe is a definite must try. These sprouts are not mushy or soggy, they turn out perfectly crisp and caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside every time. Roasting vegetables brings out the sweetness in them by caramelizing their natural sugars. It creates such a burst of amazing flavor, that you'll forget right away that brussels sprouts aren't your favorite. Don't be surprised when you catch yourself eating half the pan before dinner is served!
Simple Pantry Ingredients
How to Oven Roast Brussels Sprouts
- Trim any brown ends from the brussels sprouts, and pull off any yellow or discolored loose outer leaves.
- Slice the sprouts in half lengthwise and place in a zip top bag.
- To the bag with the sprouts, add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake it to coat all the brussels sprouts evenly.
- Spread the brussels sprouts out in a single layer on a large rimmed sheet pan so they can all cook evenly. Use parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Roast in a 400° oven for 25-35 minutes (depending on the size of the brussels sprouts). Roast until the edges and bottoms are a deep golden brown.
Tips for Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Pick good brussels sprouts. They should be very green and firm with tight leaves. Don't pick sprouts that are soft with a lot of yellow and loose leaves.
- Toss all the sprouts in a bag with olive oil and not directly on the pan. Combining all the ingredients in the bag ensures that all the sprouts are evenly coated with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Don't overcrowd the pan. Brussels sprouts should be in a single layer without too much touching, so they'll roast and not steam.
Why are my brussels sprouts soggy?
Brussels Sprouts can become soggy if they are overcooked or steamed. To prevent them from steaming while your roasting, don't overcrowd the pan. Give the sprouts plenty of room on the sheet pan so the air can circulate around them and make them nice and crisp.
What pairs well with brussels sprouts?
So many things pair well with roasted brussels sprouts. Anything from chicken, pork and beef entrees to any type of pasta dish. Here are some of my favorite things to pair with roasted brussels sprouts:
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Classic Spaghetti Carbonara
- Perfect Roast Chicken
- Manicotti with Meat Sauce
- Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken
- Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce
FAQ About Brussels Sprouts
Most of the time, yes. The brown woody end needs to be trimmed along with any yellow or discolored loose leaves. However, if you buy sprouts already washed and trimmed you'll save yourself some prep time.
Cutting the brussels sprouts in half will give them more crisp edges, and will also allow them to cook faster. If the sprouts are all different sizes, cutting the larger ones in half will help with uniform cooking. I recommend cutting sprouts in half because they develop more caramelization.
More easy side dishes to try:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Roasted Carrots
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Broccoli
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Instant Pot Rice
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a large rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Trim any brown ends off the brussels sprouts and take off any yellow or discolored loose leaves.
- Cut sprouts in half lengthwise and place in zip top bag.
- To the bag with the sprouts add olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Zip the bag close and toss it to evenly coat all the sprouts with oil.
- Place brussels sprouts in a single layer on sheet pan.
- Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes until deep golden brown and tender.