This Easy Ham and Bean Soup is a comforting and hearty soup that is family friendly and packed full of flavor. It's a super easy recipe that is a great way to use up leftover ham. The best part is it's ready to eat in less than 30 minutes making it a great recipe for busy weeknights.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Easy Ham and Bean Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Diced Ham
- Canned Great Northern Beans
- Bay Leaf
- Ground White Pepper
- Olive Oil: Any other neutral oil can be used like canola, vegetable or avocado. Butter can also be used.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken stock, chicken bone broth, or vegetable broth can be used as well as chicken bouillon or chicken base mixed with six cups of water.
- Diced Ham: Leftover ham is what I usually use when I make this soup. But you can buy a small ham and dice some of it up or buy already diced ham.
- Canned Great Northern Beans: You can sub these beans with canned navy beans or cannellini beans. If you want to use dry beans, let them soak over night and then cook them before adding to the soup.
- Ground White Pepper: you can use black pepper, but I prefer white pepper in this recipe. It has more earthy tones that pairs very well with the great flavor from the other seasonings.
This hearty ham and bean soup is a perfect recipe that the whole family will enjoy. A fantastic way to use the leftover holiday ham with a simple cooking process. Enjoy this homemade soup on a chilly day or busy weeknight, it's the best soup for both!
How to Make the Best Ham and Bean Soup
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat on the stove top. Add the diced onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté until onions are translucent and veggies are softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, dried thyme, rosemary, parsley, bay leaf and white pepper. Cook for a minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the drained and rinsed great northern beans and diced ham.
- Pour in the six cups chicken broth and stir it all together. Bring the large pot of soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
What to Serve with Ham and Bean Soup
We love to enjoy a warm bowl of soup with a small side salad and piece of bread. Here are some of our favorite bread recipes.
- Garlic Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread
- No Knead Dinner Rolls
- Easy Drop Biscuits
Storing Easy Ham and Bean Soup
Storing: Let the soup cool off to room temperature. Then store any leftover soup in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freezing: This soup is an awesome recipe to freeze. Place cooled soup in a freezer-safe container or zip top bag. Label, date and freeze the soup. Soup will last up to 4 months in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat.
Reheating: Reheat the soup over low heat on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
More Recipes for Leftover Ham
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas
- Ham and Cheese Oven Omelet
- Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham Fried Rice
- Easy Ham Salad
- Ham Pasta Salad
FAQs About Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
For the best flavor, this recipe calls for dried thyme, rosemary, parsley and bay leaf along with ground white pepper. All of that gives the soup a deep earthy flavor with hints of floral.
There are two ways you can thicken this soup. First, add a few tablespoons of flour to the veggies and garlic after they have been sauteed. Then proceed with the recipe. Second, after the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, you can remove a cup or so of the soup and blend it until smooth in a blender or food processor. Then add it back into the soup.
This is a personal preference. If you like a thinner soup use the recipe as written. If you like a thicker soup you can use one of the two steps listed above for thickening the broth.
Other Easy Soup Recipes:
- Italian Minestrone Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Zuppa Toscano Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Easy Ham and Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 30 ounces canned great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced ham
- 6 cups chicken broth
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions, celery and carrots. Sauté until onions are translucent and veggies are softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the the minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, bay leaf and white pepper. Cook for another minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the beans, ham and chicken broth and stir it all together. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply