This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup is just that, a deliciously cheesy and creamy soup with tender bites of broccoli throughout. A yummy cozy and comforting homemade soup perfect for dinner!
Do you love cheese? Broccoli? Soup? If you answered yes to all of the above, then this recipe is just for you! This Cheesy Broccoli Soup is simple to make and quick enough for weeknight dinners. It's made all in one pot and has the best creamy, cheesy texture from the butter, milk, cream and extra sharp cheddar cheese. This soup is loved by everyone who has had it!
What's All in Cheesy Broccoli Soup?
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Broccoli Florets
Can I use Frozen Broccoli?
Yes! Frozen broccoli can be substituted for fresh. Fresh is best, but frozen works fine in a pinch.
Can half and half be substituted?
Substitute half and half for all of the milk and cream and the soup will still be great.
Can I Use White Cheddar Cheese for Cheesy Broccoli Soup?
Absolutely! You can substitute with white cheddar, mild cheddar, Monterey jack or a combination of all! Sometimes, I like to substitute a little of the sharp cheddar with Parmesan. Gives the soup a really good flavor!
How to Make Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Step 1: Prepare Your Ingredients
Gathering and preparing all your ingredients ahead of time makes the recipe easier and quicker. It also ensures that there is no forgotten ingredient. First, chop the onion, celery and garlic, then shred the cheese. Next, take half of the broccoli and coarsely chop it so some broccoli is full florets and some are in small pieces.
Step 2: Make a Roux
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot. Add the diced onions and celery, cook until onions are translucent. Then add garlic and cook an additional minute or two until garlic is fragrant. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, celery, garlic and butter and stir it up. Let it cook 1-2 minutes until the flour is somewhat golden.
Step 3: Add Liquids & Thicken
Next, slowly add in the chicken stock while stirring. Then stir in the milk, cream, and broccoli. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes stirring often until the broccoli florets are tender and the soup has thickened.
Step 4: Make it Cheesy
Once the broccoli is tender and the soup has thickened a bit, stir in cheese one handful at a time until it is all melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve and Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Shred your own cheese. Shredding your own cheese will create a smooth texture because there is no anti-caking agent on it. Anti-caking agents can leave the soup with a gritty texture.
- Be patient with the cheese. Stir in a handful at a time, allowing the cheese to melt after each addition before adding more. If all the cheese is added at once, it will clump up and not melt smoothly.
- Chop half of the broccoli before adding it to the soup. Doing this is easier then using an immersion blender and removing some of the big florets from the cooked soup.
- Season the soup after the cheese has been added, that way the soup isn't over seasoned with salt.
- Keep it vegetarian and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
More soups for you to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup-with Crockpot Instructions too!
- Creamy Carrot Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Pizza Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Classic Chicken Noodle
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
Comfort yourself with this cozy Cheesy Broccoli Soup recipe and let me know how you like it in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- ½ cup butter
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups broccoli florets, ½ chopped
- 4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat, add onions and celery. Cook until onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and celery and stir it all together. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour starts to turn golden.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth while stirring until it's smooth.
- Stir in the milk, cream and broccoli. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until broccoli is tender and soup has thickened.
- Stir in cheese, a handful at a time and stirring until melted after each addition.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply