This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This homemade Classic Chicken Noodle Soup is an amazing quick and easy recipe that is filled with all the flavors of comfort. Tender chicken, tasty egg noodles, and veggies all bathing in an extra rich broth!
Life is just not complete without a good chicken noodle soup recipe in your collection. Its a soup everyone knows and loves. This recipe is a classic. It's an easy one pot wonder, a great way to use up some leftover cooked chicken, and will remind you of grandma's hugs.
Soup is the ultimate comfort food, along with pasta and low and behold this recipe has both! There's nothing much more comforting on a rainy and gloomy day or a chilly winter day than a big bowl of soup with pasta. We also love these other comforting chicken soups: Chicken Wild Rice, Chicken and Potato Stew, and Chicken Dumpling. So delicious and so family friendly!
This post was originally posted on 06/17/2015 and updated on 05/24/2021.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Olive Oil
- Cooked Chicken, shredded or diced
- Chicken Broth
- Egg Noodles
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil: Any neutral oil can be used, canola, avocado or vegetable will work.
- Cooked Chicken: Chicken breasts or thighs will both work. Feel free to use leftover cooked chicken. I love to make this soup after I have made Crock Pot Whole Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Chicken Broth: I prefer to use a Homemade Broth, but any broth, stock, or bouillon with water will work.
- Egg Noodles: Egg noodles are the classic addition to a good chicken soup. Any egg noodle will work: dry, fresh, or frozen. I like dry old fashioned extra wide egg noodles. If you want more of traditional canned style chicken noodle soup, linguine or fettuccini noodles broken into thirds are great substitutes.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant.
- Next, add the cooked and shredded chicken.
- Then, slowly stir in the chicken broth and water.
- Bring soup to a low boil and then reduce heat to low. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the noodles and let simmer until noodles are cooked through to al dente.
- Remove soup from heat and serve immediately.
Tips for Classic Chicken Noodle Soup:
- If you prefer a thinner soup, only add half the noodles. If you like more of a thicker soup use 16 oz. of pasta. I prefer in between so I like 12 oz.
- Cook the soup and noodles separate when planning on making this soup ahead of time. When it is time to enjoy, either add the noodles directly to the pot of warm chicken soup or individual bowls and add chicken soup over.
- If you know there will be leftovers, cook the noodles separate and store separate in the fridge so the noodles don't absorb all the broth and become mushy.
- This soup freezes great. Make a big batch of the soup without the noodles. Let the soup cool completely and add cooked noodles to the cooled soup. Divide it into freezer safe containers and freeze. It will last in the freezer for 3-4 months. Thaw the frozen soup in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stove over low heat.
For some extra flavor you can add in some chopped leeks or fennel and sauté it with the onions, celery and carrots. You can also add a bit of lemon zest or juice. Herbs are also a great way to add extra flavor. Thyme and parsley are great additions to any chicken soup. Taste as you cook and season with salt and pepper.
To cook raw chicken in soup, it is best to poach or boil it in water with some veggies and herbs which will then make homemade stock as well. Then use the cooked chicken and homemade broth in your recipe.
Egg noodles are the most popular noodle to add to chicken soup. They are hearty and hold up well. If you want more of a classic canned chicken noodle soup, you can use linguine or fettuccini noodles broken into thirds.
More Comforting Soups We Love:
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- Slowly add chicken broth and water.
- Heat to a low boil and reduce heat to low.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in noodles and simmer until cooked to al dente.
- Remove from heat and serve.