This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts is an easy way to make a batch of cooked chicken for all sorts of recipes. The chicken turns out juicy and delicious in a matter of minutes!
This recipe for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts is a perfect way to have cooked chicken ready anytime you need it. Use this recipe to make the chicken and then freeze it for future recipes and meal prepping. You'll have juicy and tender chicken ready to use in a variety of recipes from salads, soups, pasta, casseroles, sandwiches and more.
When I say this recipe is easy I mean it is so incredibly simple. If you are an instant pot newbie or pro this is a recipe that anyone can make to get tender, flavorful and luscious chicken breasts. Plus, you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: Fresh or frozen chicken can be used.
- Water: Substitute with chicken broth for a richer flavor.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Onion Powder: Substitute these seasonings with your favorite season blend. Taco seasoning, Italian seasoning and lemon pepper are all good alternatives for flavor specific chicken.
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the instant pot.
- Then add the water or broth to the pot.
- Next sprinkle the chicken with the seasonings.
- Add the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Set the pot to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Let the pot do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then you can do a quick release.
- Once the pin has dropped after all the pressure has been released, carefully remove the lid.
- Now you can either slice or shred the chicken and eat it as is or use it in your favorite recipe!
Tips for Shredded Chicken Breasts
- Fresh or frozen chicken breasts will work. Add 5 minutes to the cook time if using frozen and continue with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Season the chicken well. I have noticed that seasonings tend to be less effective when pressure cooked. Don't be afraid to over season a little bit.
- 2-4 breasts at a time work well in an 8qt Instant Pot with the same cook time of 8 minutes.
- Shred the chicken using two forks, a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or my favorite way-my fingers. I like to let the chicken cool down so I can handle it and then pull it apart with my fingers. So easy and I don't bend any forks.
How to Use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts
Cooked chicken can be made into so many different dishes! Here are some of our favorite ways to use shredded chicken:
- In soups like these: Chicken Wild Rice, Chicken & Potato Stew, Chicken Dumpling Soup.
- With BBQ Sauce on Buns or Hawaiian Rolls.
- On top of salads like this Chicken Cobb Salad.
- Mixed with Buffalo Sauce and used on pizza or in this Buffalo Chicken Salad.
- Add the chicken to pasta dishes or casseroles like this Chicken & Noodles dish.
- Make cold salads like this Chicken Tortellini Salad.
- Enjoy some chicken salad sandwiches.
- Use the chicken to meal prep and serve it with Instant Pot Rice or Brown Rice, Roasted Ranch Potatoes or Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower.
- Simply eat it as is sliced or shredded with some Smashed Potatoes and Air Fryer Green Beans.
FAQ About Shredded Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
This recipe calls to pressure cook fresh chicken breasts on high for 8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release. For frozen chicken breasts pressure cook on high for 13 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
If the texture of your chicken is a little tough and rubbery you didn't cook it long enough. Make sure you are doing a 10 minute natural pressure release. If you want to do a quick release then increase the pressure cook time to 12 minutes.
This is very unlikely. The Instant Pot adds a ton of moisture to the food it cooks from the steam which in the end makes everything tender. The longer it cooks, the more tender it becomes.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Enjoy:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Mac N Cheese
- Pulled Pork
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Salsa Chicken Nachos
- Iced Coffee
- Buffalo Chicken Mac N Cheese
- Split Pea Soup
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts
- Add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the water or broth into the pot with the chicken.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken breasts.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the 8 minutes is done let the instant pot do a 10 minute natural release then you can quick release.
- After the pin has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Take out chicken and slice or shred it.