This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Chicken Tortellini Salad is a super easy recipe with chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto! A great make ahead salad for dinner, as a side dish or shared at a potluck or picnic. This salad is a total crowd pleaser!
This Chicken Tortellini Salad happened by mistake but ended up being so dang good! I was making lunches for the kids and was forging through the fridge for something different when I created this salad. This salad was a great way to use up the leftover crock pot chicken and opened pesto that was in the fridge. Then, I added some veggies and cheese, and had quickly made a delightful and delicious salad.
This post was originally posted on 05/11/2015 and updated on 05/12/2021.
Chicken Tortellini Salad Ingredients
- Cheese Filled Spinach Tortellini
- Cooked Chicken
- Grape Tomatoes
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Cheese Filled Spinach Tortellini: Any type of cheese filled tortellini will work: rainbow or tri-color, spinach, or original.
- Grape Tomatoes: Any tomato that can be diced will work. You can even add sun-dried tomatoes too.
- Mozzarella: You can use string cheese that is sliced or opt for fresh mozzarella pearls, bocconcini, or marinated mozzarella balls.
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto: feel free to use a homemade version of pesto, or a different kind of jarred pesto. Basil pesto is a good substitute too.
- Other Variations: Adding more veggies can make this salad really stand out. Some good additions are: diced red onion, chopped bell peppers and cucumbers, broccoli and cauliflower florets, black olives or crumbled feta cheese. Serving it over a bed of spinach or mixed greens is another great option.
How to Make Easy Chicken Pesto Tortellini Salad
- Cook the tortellini to al dente according to package directions.
- Once done, drain pasta and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine tortellini, chicken, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes.
- Then gently toss in sun dried tomato pesto.
- Lastly, cover and chill until ready to serve.
Can I make Tortellini Salad Ahead of Time?
This salad is a great make ahead option. Make it the day before and keep it in the fridge until needed.
How Long Will Tortellini Pasta Salad Last?
Keep this chicken tortellini salad in an air tight container in the fridge and it will last up to four days.
FAQs About Chicken Tortellini Salad
Yes, this recipe is made to be a cold salad. Tortellini is a really versatile pasta, just like many others. It is delicious eaten cold or hot.
Simply add your favorite pesto or some olive oil to cooked tortellini. If you prefer it hot use your favorite pasta sauce.
Any type of salad is a great side dish to any pasta meal. Roasted or steamed vegetables are always good along with garlic bread.
More Potluck Friendly Salads to Share:
- Classic Potato Salad
- Ham Pasta Salad
- Cole Slaw
- Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
Chicken Tortellini Salad
- 8 oz cheese filled tortellini
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, diced or shredded
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved (about 12 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons prepared sun-dried tomato pesto, (heaping tablespoons)
- Cook tortellini to al dente according to package directions.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Combine chicken, cheese and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Add cooled pasta.
- Add pesto and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve cold.