This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad recipe is filled with fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets, shredded cheese, salty bacon, sunflower seeds and coated in a creamy sweet and savory dressing. This salad so delicious and will be a huge hit at any get together!
This sweet salad is a perfect addition to any picnic, block party or pot luck! The traditional salad I remember having at those events was made with all broccoli. I happen to love cauliflower! I love it more than broccoli... So, I decided to switch up the traditional salad and use both broccoli and cauliflower. It was a hit and I've been doing it ever since!
This post was originally posted on 04/29/2015 and updated on 04/09/2021.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad Ingredients
- Broccoli Florets
- Cauliflower Florets
- Crumbled Cooked Bacon
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese
- Raw Sunflower Seeds
- Miracle Whip
- Sour Cream
- Celery Seed
- Broccoli or Cauliflower: I love this salad with both veggies, however if you prefer one over feel free to use all of that veggie.
- Co-Jack Cheese: Any cheese can be used: cheddar, colby, swiss, Monteray jack or gruyere are all delicious options.
- Raw Sunflower Seeds: If you can't find raw seeds, you can use unsalted sunflower seeds. Leave them out if you prefer and substitute in golden raisins.
- Miracle Whip: Use your favorite mayonnaise, I prefer the tangy taste from the Miracle Whip.
- Sour Cream: Plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream.
How to Make Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dressing ingredients: Miracle Whip, sour cream, sugar, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower and celery. Mix together well.
- Fold in the crumbled bacon, sunflower seeds and shredded cheese.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour.
Tips for Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Make the bacon ahead of time and let it cool down. I like to bake my bacon, because it is less messy and I don't have to stand in from of the stove. I can do other things while it is baking. If you have never baked bacon head over to How to Bake Bacon and check how I do it!
- Make the salad ahead of time! Simply keep the dressing separeate from the veggies, bacon, cheese and sunflower seeds. When you are ready to serve it, mix it together and enjoy!
What to Serve with Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad?
These are some of favorite main dishes to serve with this delicious creamy salad:
- Instant Pot Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Grilled Spiced Pork Chops
- Basil Tuna Cakes
- Easy Turkey Burgers
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Iowa Maid Rites
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders
FAQs About Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
For this specific recipe, no there is no steaming needed. This recipe uses all raw veggies making it super easy and quick. However, if you want a more vibrant green color and less raw flavor you can blanch the broccoli and cauliflower in boiling water for 30-60 seconds and then place in ice water bath. Let the broccoli dry before making the salad.
The salad should last 3-4 days in the fridge. Give it a good stir before serving.
I do not recommend freezing this salad. The Miracle Whip does not hold up well in the freezer and the texture will be completely different when thawed. Enjoy this salad fresh!
More Party Friendly Salads:
- Classic Potato Salad
- Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- Ham Pasta Salad
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Cole Slaw
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 2 cups broccoli florets, about 1 small head
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, about ½ head
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup miracle whip, or mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup shredded co-jack cheese
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- In a small mixing bowl combine the miracle whip, sour cream, sugar, salt, pepper and celery seed to make the dressing.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and celery to the dressing and stir well.
- Fold in the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.