This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Homemade Tator Tot Hotdish is a Midwestern classic comfort dish filled with ground beef, corn, green beans, a creamy sauce and topped with crispy tator tots! A quick and easy, family favorite dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
I am from the Midwest, previously Iowa, now I reside in Northern Wisconsin. I know my hotdishes or casseroles if you prefer. I grew up eating Tator Tot Hotdish, but my mom made it with a can of cream of mushroom soup. I have since ditched the condensed soups and started replicating them with my own homemade sauces. You can't even tell the soup is missing from this recipe, it is that GOOD!
How to Make Tator Tot Hotdish
You Will Need
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1- 14-½ oz can cut green beans, drained
- 2 lb bag frozen tator tots
Make the Hotdish
Preheat the oven to 425° and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
First you will need to brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. We use our own grass fed beef so it is very lean, if you are using a 80/20 blend drain the grease.
Add in the onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, pepper and butter. Let the butter melt, once melted stir in the flour. Let the beef and flour cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring. Bring the mixture to a small bubble and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for a 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Now you will stir in the corn and green beans until thoroughly mixed. Pour the beef and veggie mix into the greased baking dish spreading it out evenly. Next, you want to strategically place your tator tots over the mix so they all fit. I rarely get them all to fit so I just toss the extras on top.
Lastly, bake the hotdish for 30 minutes until bubbly and the tops of the tator tots are golden and crispy.
Finally, dig in and enjoy!
You might also enjoy some of these other comfort foods!
Try this comforting Midwestern homemade Tator Tot Hotdish, and let me know how much it comforts you in the comments below! You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing!
Pin the recipe for later!
Tator Tot Hotdish
- Preheat the oven to 425° and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Over medium heat, brown the ground beef until no longer pink and drain any grease.
- Add the onion flakes, garlic, salt, pepper and butter. Let that cook until the butter is a melted.
- Stir in the flour and cook another minute.
- Slowly pour the milk in while stirring. Bring the mix to a low bubble and reduce heat to low.
- Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the corn and beans until completely combined.
- Pour the beef and veggie mix into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Place the tator tots in a single layer on top of the beef and veggie mix. Any extras, just place them on top.
- Bake the hotdish for 30 minutes until bubbly and the tator tots are golden and crispy.