This Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe is a comforting and cozy pasta dish that is filled with all the flavors of a classic cheeseburger. An easy dinner that the family is going to flip over!
Ground beef, onions, tomatoes, cheese and pasta are baked to perfection and then topped with dill pickles. This casserole is so easy to whip together, and is ready to devour in less than an hour!
Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- Extra Wide Egg Noodles
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef
- Garlic Cloves
- Mustard Powder
- Black Pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Tomato Sauce
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese
- Dill Pickles
- Extra Wide Egg Noodles: Any short or medium cut pasta can be used. Elbow macaroni, rotini or bow ties are good options.
- Olive Oil: Avocado, canola or vegetable oil can be substituted, but olive oil has the best flavor.
- Onion: Short on time or short an onion, you can add a tablespoon of dried minced onions or 1½ teaspoons onion powder.
- Ground Beef: Ground turkey can be used to lighten up the dish.
- Tomato Paste: If preferred, you can use ketchup. It will add a bit more sweetness to the dish.
- Spicy Brown Mustard: I prefer this mustard, because in all honesty, I'm not a mustard fan. If you like a dijon mustard or yellow mustard better you can use them.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: Regular diced tomatoes can be used. I prefer the fire roasted because it gives the dish a subtle hint of grill flavors.
- Co-Jack Cheese: Substitute with your favorite cheese. Shredded swiss, cheddar, or pepper jack are all delicious options. Always shred your own cheese if you can, it melts so much better.
- Dill Pickles: the pickles are optional. If you are not a pickle fan, simply leave them off and serve them on the side for the pickle lovers.
- Other Toppings: Cook and crumbled bacon, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, and shredded iceberg lettuce can be added with the pickles to the top of the casserole after baking. We are simple, and prefer just the pickles.
How to Make Easy Cheeseburger Casserole
- First, get a pot of water boiling and cook the pasta to al dente.
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Add the olive oil and onions to the beef and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the mustard powder, salt, black pepper, tomato paste and spicy brown mustard and cook a few minutes.
- Next, add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir it all together well.
- Add the sauce to the cooked and drained noodles.
- Evenly spread the pasta and sauce in a 9x13 or 3 quart casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 375°F oven and bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes.
- Top the casserole with chopped pickles and serve.
How to Store Cheeseburger Casserole
Any leftover casserole can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. The leftovers can also be frozen in freezer safe containers for 3-4 months.
Make Into a Freezer Meal
This dish works so well as a make ahead freezer meal. Simply prepare the dish as stated in the recipe, but don't bake it. Let the casserole cool, cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Lable, date and freeze the casserole.
When ready to enjoy it, thaw it overnight in the fridge. Remove the aluminum foil and plastic wrap and then add the foil back. Bake the covered casserole in a 375°F oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until the casserole is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Top with chopped dill pickles and enjoy!
Other Delicious Ground Beef Casseroles:
- Baked Rigatoni Casserole
- Easy Skillet Goulash
- Tator Tot Hotdish
- Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
- Homemade Shepherd's Pie
- Baked Penne Casserole
- Mexican Lasagna
- Manicotti with Meat Sauce
Easy Cheeseburger Casserole
- 12 oz extra wide egg noodles, cooked to al dente
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 29 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, Two 14½ oz cans
- 2 cups shredded co-jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped dill pickles
- First step, boil some water to cook the pasta to al dente.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Add the olive oil and onions and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the mustard powder, salt, black pepper, tomato paste and spicy brown mustard. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and fire roasted diced tomatoes. Stir it all together well.
- Add the beef and sauce mix to the cooked and drained egg noodles and gently stir it all together.
- Evenly spread the pasta, beef and sauce to a deep 9x13 or 3 quart casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with shredded cheese.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is all melted.
- Top the casserole with chopped dill pickles and serve. Enjoy!