This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Cheesy Spaghetti Bake is a simple hearty dinner layered with pasta, meat sauce, and a gooey cheesy topping. A family dinner that everyone is going to ask for over and over again!
This meal is a definite family pleaser that will solve all your dinner problems! It's cheesy, ooey, gooey and loaded with flavor. When you have all that, you can't go wrong! If you or your family are spaghetti lovers already, then you'll want to try this pumped up version! So simple and it is a great make ahead meal. I like to make a double batch of this Cheesy Spaghetti Bake on prep days and freeze one for later.
This post was originally posted on 06/20/2019 and updated on 03/08/2021.
Cheesy Spaghetti Bake Ingredients
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Ground Beef
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper (of course!)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Grated or Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Spaghetti Noodles: Spaghetti works the best for this recipe, but you can substitute with any pasta... thin spaghetti, rotini, cavatappi are all good choices.
- Ground Beef: Substitute the beef with ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground italian sausage. To keep it vegetarian you can omit the beef all together. Another vegetarian option would be adding a lot of mushrooms in place of the beef.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Use your favorite jar of pasta or marinara sauce in place of the canned crushed tomatoes.
How to Make Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Cook noodles to al dente following the package directions.
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, brown beef and onions together until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain any excess grease.
- To the beef add: minced garlic, canned crushed tomatoes, water, basil, 1 tsp oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer meat sauce for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl.
- Then add 1 tbsp oregano, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked spaghetti noodles until they are fully covered and mixed thoroughly.
- Spread the noodle mix evenly in a greased 9x13 deep casserole dish.
- Top the noodles with the meat sauce.
- Next, top the meat sauce with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the casserole uncovered in a 350° oven for 30-40 minutes until it's bubbling and golden.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Make Ahead Instructions for Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
This yummy casserole can be made up to 2 days ahead of time or made and then frozen.
- Assemble casserole according to recipe instructions, but do not bake it.
- Let the casserole cool down completely.
- Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil.
- Store in fridge until ready to bake or label and date the casserole and freeze.
- Casserole will last 3-4 months in freezer.
How to Bake Frozen Spaghetti Bake
- Let the casserole thaw overnight in freezer.
- While the oven is preheating, let the casserole rest on the counter.
- Remove the plastic wrap and foil.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden and bubbly.
What to Serve with Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
- Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Peasy Garlic Bread
- Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread
- Homemade French Bread
FAQ About Baked Spaghetti
This recipe calls to bake the pasta casserole uncovered. There is enough moisture in the noodle mix and meat sauce that baking uncovered will not dry it out.
Boil the pasta to al dente per the package directions or 1 minute less than al dente instructions. Doing this will help prevent the noodles from overcooking and becoming mushy while it bakes in the oven.
First, make sure you are using enough of the sauce mixture. Second, don't over boil the noodles. Boil them to al dente or 1 minute less than al dente directions. Lastly, don't overbake it. Another option would be to bake the casserole covered for half the time and then uncover and finish baking.
More Family Friendly Casseroles We Love:
- Tator Tot Hotdish
- Baked Penne Casserole
- Best Ever Egg Bake
- Chicken and Noodles
- Baked Rigatoni Casserole
- Tator Tot Egg Bake
- Turkey Pot Pie with Puff Pastry
Cheesy Spaghetti Bake
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles, boiled to al dente
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Brown and crumble ground beef and onion together until beef is fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain grease if needed.
- To the beef and onions add: minced garlic, crushed tomatoes, water, basil, 1 tsp oregano, thyme, crushed pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk and eggs.
- Add 1 tbsp oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, ½ cup Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Fold in cooked spaghetti noodles.
- Spread the noodle mix evenly in the 9x13 dish.
- Top noodles with the sauce. Top sauce with the remaining cup of mozzarella and ½ cup Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes, and golden brown and bubbly.
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Freeze one for later! Thaw overnight. Let the dish sit at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
Leave a Reply