This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Chicken and Noodles Recipe is a creamy and cozy casserole that is simple and quick enough for weeknights. This recipe is filled with delicious egg noodles, tender chicken, and a homemade creamy sauce that will become a new family favorite instantly!
This recipe is very popular among the kiddos. I made it often when I was running my day care business. It's a perfect recipe to use leftover chicken with and create a whole new meal, or its just great to have on your menu too! This recipe is so good, you'll want to put it on your dinner rotation schedule!
This post was originally posted on 08/05/2014 and updated on 03/24/2021.
Chicken and Noodles Ingredients
- Extra Wide Home-style Egg Noodles
- Salted Butter
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Chicken Broth
- Cheddar Cheese
- Dried Chopped Onion
- Dried Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Chicken: feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs. I like to use leftover chicken from my Crock Pot Whole Chicken Recipe. A rotisserie chicken would also work.
- Home Style Egg Noodles: I prefer to use egg noodles in this recipe, they have the best flavor. However, you could substitute other noodles like: spaghetti, linguine, rotini or even elbow macaroni.
- Whole Wheat Flour: substitute with unbleached all purpose flour if desired.
- Milk: Any type of milk will work.
- Chicken Broth: Use your favorite store bought broth or try it with a Homemade Chicken Broth.
- Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a mild flavor and kids prefer it, however you can use your favorite cheese in this recipe.
- Dried Onion: feel free to use fresh grated onion.
How to Make Chicken and Noodles from Scratch
- Grease a 9x13 or 2 quart baking dish.
- Prepare chicken if needed and cook noodles according to package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt butter in large pan, add onion and garlic. Sauté one minute.
- Whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk and chicken stock whisking the entire time to eliminate any lumps.
- Cook on medium-low until sauce is bubbly, thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add chicken and noodles, mix well.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Dot the top with the pea size butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 375°F for 20-25 min and until the top is lightly golden brown.
Tips for Homemade Chicken and Noodles Casserole
- Cook pasta to al dente. If if cooks any longer than al dente, the noodles will become mush while the casserole bakes in the oven.
- Sauce is thick enough when it coats the back of spoon.
- Use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken for quick and easy prep work.
- Add up to a cup of frozen veggies when you add the chicken and noodles to amp up the casserole.
FAQ About Chicken and Noodles Recipe
This recipe uses a roux to thicken the creamy sauce, which is equal parts flour and fat. The roux will thicken the liquid to create a creamy sauce.
Yes! This casserole can be frozen before or after it bakes. I prefer to freeze before it bakes. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze. Thaw overnight and let casserole rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Then bake according to recipe directions.
My favorite thing to serve with this recipe is a green side salad and roasted vegetables like:
Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
Easy Roasted Carrots
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
More Family Friendly Chicken Recipes:
- Perfect Roast Chicken
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken
- Pan Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
Chicken and Noodles Recipe
- 2 cups cubed and cooked chicken , about 1 lb chicken raw if needed
- 12 oz extra wide home-style noodles, prepared according to package directions
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter, cut into pea size cubes
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a 9x13 or 2 quart baking dish.
- Prepare chicken if needed and cook noodles to al dente per package instructions.
- Melt butter in a large pan, add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk and chicken stock while whisking constantly.
- Cook sauce on medium-low heat until sauce is bubbling and thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Stir in cooked noodles and chicken. Mix together well.
- Spread into baking dish.
- Dot with the pea sized butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly golden brown.
Haven’t tried this yet, but it looks great. Any reason I can’t use white flour. Can’t tolerate the wheat.
Heather Warburton says
Yes you can use white flour. Enjoy!