This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Legs are simple to make with no oil or mess to clean up! Juicy and tender chicken that is a family winner any day of the week!
I love myself some good fried chicken, but I hate the mess I have to clean afterwards. Believe me, I still fry chicken, but I like that this recipe allows me to have a craving fix without the mess from a fryer. Plus, my family loves this recipe! We are all chicken leg fans at this house, except the hubby, he's more of breast guy. Chicken drumsticks are a very affordable protein, making this meal cheap and delicious!
Now I mentioned this recipe is easy, and it is, but there is some time needed to marinate the chicken. Just as you would with old fashioned fried chicken. Marinading the chicken helps it stay juicy and tender while baking. I like to place my chicken in the marinade the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. However, that long is not necessary. Letting the chicken marinate at least 30 minutes on the counter will work too.
How to Make Oven Fried Chicken Legs
What You Will Need
- 10-12 chicken legs (drumsticks)
For the Marinade
For the Breading
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Tip... If you do not have buttermilk, make your own!
You can make your own buttermilk by using lemon juice or vinegar and milk. I typically always use lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring glass and fill with milk to the 2 cup line. Let milk sit for at least 5 minutes. Boom! Buttermilk!
Can I substitute white flour?
Yes, you can most definitely substitute white flour for the whole wheat flour.
What does the baking powder in the breading do?
Baking powder is a little trick I learned a long time ago while reading cookbooks with my grandma. The baking powder helps make the breading crispy and crunchy. There is scientific evidence somewhere proving it, I just read a recipe advising to do it. I listened and never looked back. It really does help make it extra crispy!
Make the Chicken
First, like I mentioned above, you will need to marinate the chicken for a little bit. Put the chicken legs in a large 2 gallon zip top bag or bowl. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Then, sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken and shake the bake or toss it in the bowl to coat. Now, combine the buttermilk and hot sauce and pour it over the chicken. ***I usually use a zip top bag and then massage the chicken a bit after I have added the buttermilk mix.
Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes on the counter. Or you can place it in the fridge and marinate it all day, up to overnight. The longer the better, in my opinion!
Now, prepare your pan. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place an oven safe wire rack in the pan. Spray the rack with a little non-stick cooking spray.
Once your chicken has finished bathing in its marinade, its time to bread it. Take one leg at a time from the marinade, letting most excess drip off. Place it in the bag of breading and shake to coat. Place the coated chicken leg on the prepared wire rack. Repeat until finished! To finish the chicken off, spray the legs with non-stick cooking spray. It helps for even more crispy breading!
Lastly, you will bake the chicken in a 425° oven for 40-45 minutes and until the internal temperature reaches 165°. My oven takes 45 minutes and they are perfect and crispy!
It looks like a lot of steps, but don't be intimidated. It's easy, and can all be done in zip top bags mostly!
Here are some other chicken recipes you might enjoy!
If you give this delicious Oven Fried Chicken Legs Recipe a try let me know in the comments below! You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family I are doing!
Pin the recipe for later!
Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- 10-12 chicken legs (drumsticks) skin on
For the Marinade
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Place the chicken legs in a 2 gallon zip top bag or large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade seasonings: paprika, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mix over the chicken and rub the seasonings all over the chicken.
- Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce together and pour over the chicken. Toss it to coat a little bit.
- Let the chicken sit on the counter for 30 minutes or put it in the fridge for a few hours or as long as overnight.
- Combine the breading ingredients in a large gallon size bag and shake a bit to combine it all.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place an oven safe wire rack on it. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- When you are ready to prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 425°.
- Take one chicken leg from the marinade and let the excess drip off a bit. Place the leg in the breading bag and shake to coat. Place the leg on the wire rack. Repeat with rest of chicken legs, coating one leg at a time.
- Spray the chicken with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes, until internal temp reads 165°.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and enjoy!!!!