This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe is an easy and healthy way to enjoy an Italian favorite for dinner. Juicy and tender breaded chicken smothered with tasty marinara and melted mozzarella is going to have your family begging for more!
Don't let the phrase "chicken parm" intimidate you. With my recipe it doesn't get much easier. Plus, I made it a bit more healthy. No frying needed, the breading stays crisp and I top it with my simple homemade marinara.
In only a few simple steps and you can have a healthy and scrumptious Italian dinner on your table in under an hour! Here are some of our other favorite Italian dinners: Baked Rigatoni Casserole, Cheesy Spaghetti Bake and Simple Spaghetti Meat Sauce.
Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
- Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
- Egg White
- Panko Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Egg White: You can use a whole egg whisked with a little water if you like. I use just the white because I think the breading sticks better and it cuts out a few calories.
- Panko Crumbs: You can use seasoned panko crumbs or plain and season as the recipe states. If in a pinch, you can use breadcrumbs. Panko creates a much crispier crust though.
- Grated Parmesan: Parmesan cheese is the classic ingredient, but if you like to be adventurous you can used grated Romano, Asiago or Pecorino cheese.
- Marinara: I like to use my recipe for Quick and Easy Marinara, but you can substitute with your favorite jar of marinara or even pasta sauce will work. Any good tomato based sauce will be delicious.
- Shredded Mozzarella: Shredded or sliced provolone is also delicious on this chicken.
How to Make Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- First, make sure the pieces of chicken are all similar in thickness. This is necessary so the chicken will all cook evenly and be done at the same time. You can cut the chicken in half lengthwise to create 6 equal pieces each about ½ inch thick.
- In a small shallow dish, combine the panko, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Next, beat the egg white until it is frothy. Then, brush one side of the chicken with some of the egg white. Note: A little goes a long way.
- Place the chicken, egg white side down into the panko mix. Press it down so the crumbs stick to the chicken.
- Now brush the other side of the chicken with some egg white.
- Then flip the chicken over and press it down to adhere crumbs to the other side. Use a fork or spoon to press some of the crumbs on the side of the chicken if needed.
- Place the breaded piece of chicken on a greased baking rack on top of a sheet pan.
- Repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil spray.
- Bake the chicken for 25 minutes at 450°F.
- Remove the chicken and top each piece with a heaping tablespoon of marinara sauce and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the chicken for another 5 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with extra marinara sauce, spaghetti noodles, zucchini noodles, or as is with your favorite side dish.
How to Serve Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
Serve the chicken over some cooked spaghetti or zucchini noodles tossed in extra Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Amp it up and make it into an Italian sandwich. Serve it inside a chewy Ciabatta or Hoagie Bun.
Tips for the Best Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Make sure all the pieces of chicken are about the same thickness. Simply cut the chicken breasts in half like you were to butterfly them, but cut them all the way through to create two equal sized pieces. Or use a meat mallet to pound the chicken between pieces of plastic wrap.
- Shred your own mozzarella cheese. It will melt way nicer and give you a great cheese pull. Pre-shredded cheese is mixed with an anti-caking agent which makes the cheese take longer to melt and creates grainy cheese-no good.
- Bake the chicken on a rack inside a sheet pan so the air can circulate around the chicken pieces. This will allow all sides of the chicken to be nice and crispy. No soggy bottoms wanted!
Chicken breasts that are about ½ inch thick will take about 20-25 minutes roasted at 400°F.
They are the same dish, the words have a slightly different meaning. Parmesan is obviously cheese, while parmigiana means cooked with layers of tomato sauce and cheese.
First don't over bake it. Use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness. Remove the chicken from the oven once it reaches 160°F. Then the most important thing is to let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes so all the juices can redistribute back into the chicken and it will finish cooking to 165°F.
More Baked Chicken Dinners We Love:
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables
- Herb Roasted Spatchcock Chicken
- Pan Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 24 oz chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, 3 large, cut in half to make 6 thin pieces
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil spray or cooking spray
- spaghetti noodles, zucchini noodles, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a baking rack in a sheet pan. Grease the baking rack with some olive oil or cooking spray.
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create 6 equal size pieces or pound smaller pieces with meat mallet so all the chicken is the same thickness about ½ inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the panko, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg white until its frothy. Brush some of the egg white on one side of the chicken. A little goes a long way.
- Place the chicken egg white side down into the panko mix. Press the chicken down so the crumbs stick to the chicken.
- Brush the other side of the chicken with beaten egg white, then flip the chicken over and press it down into the crumbs. Use a fork or spoon to press crumbs into sides of chicken if needed.
- Place breaded chicken on greased baking rack.
- Repeat until all the chicken is breaded and on the baking rack.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken for 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and spoon a heaping tablespoon of marinara on each piece of chicken. Then top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for another 5 minutes until the chicken reaches 160°F internally.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.