This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Creamy Carrot Soup is a delightful, yet hearty soup made with simple ingredients all in one pot. The healthy soup is warm, comforting and has the best smooth velvety texture.
It is officially fall now which means it is officially soup season in my house. However, I do make soup all year long just because I love it and so do my kiddos. I like making this soup when I have an abundant amount of carrots from the garden. It is a great way to use them up all at once. Or if you have a bag of carrots in the back of your fridge or the bottom of your crisper drawer you forgot about, make this soup! It has a wonderful flavor and is so creamy and delicious. Another way to use up those carrots is with this delicious Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots recipe!
Simple Ingredients for Creamy Carrot Soup
Keep it Vegetarian
Substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth to keep this creamy soup vegetarian.
Keep it Dairy Free
How to Make Easy Creamy Carrot Soup
This soup is seriously the easiest soup to make. It is a simple one pot wonder!
Step 1: Prep the Vegetables
Wash, peel, and chop all your veggies. This is all going to be blended so a rough even chop is all that needs to be done.
Step 2: Sweat the Vegetables
In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat and add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook the veggies until the onions are translucent and the carrots have started to release their juices, this takes about 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
Step 3: Simmer
Add the broth and seasonings to the veggies and give it a good stir. Bring the broth to a bubble then reduce heat to low and simmer the soup partially covered for 20-25 minutes and until the carrots are soft and fork tender.
Step 4: Blend it
Once the carrots are soft, the soup is ready to be blended. Remove the soup from the heat, and either use an immersion blender, food processor or blender to puree the soup. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add more chicken broth or water ¼ cup at a time, blending after each addition. Remember you will still be adding cream.
Step 5: Serve
Stir in the heavy cream and serve.
How to Blend Soup
- Immersion Blender: this is my favorite way to blend soup. There is no need to work in batches or transfer the soup. Be careful though, it can splatter if the blender comes to close to the top of the soup.
- Blender: carefully transfer soup to the blender using a ladle. Do not fill the blender more than half full, this is to avoid burns or explosions from the steam. If your blender lid does not have steam vents than you will need to remove the plastic center cap from the blender lid, cover the lid with a towel and then blend. Leaving the center cap on will result in an explosion from the steam building up with no place to go.
- Food Processor: again with this option, you will need to carefully transfer the hot soup with a ladle not exceeding the max fill line. Place the lid on and pulse until smooth. This option works but is my least favorite because the texture does not get as smooth. If this is all you got, use it! It will still result in very flavorful and delicious soup.
More Soup Recipes to Keep you Comforted All Year Long!
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Easy 3 Bean Chili
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Pizza Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
- Classic Chicken Noodle
- Beef Barley Stew in Crock Pot
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken & Potato Stew
Comfort yourself with this delicious Creamy Carrot Soup and let me know what you think in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Creamy Carrot Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and celery.
- Cook the veggies, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the carrots have started to release their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken broth and seasonings.
- Bring the soup to a bubble, reduce heat to low, partially cover the pot and simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes until the carrots are soft and fork tender.
- Remove soup from heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and serve.