This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Easy Three Bean Chili is hearty and comforting, easy to fix and full of robust flavors. Easily make it on the stove or in the crock pot and end your day with a cozy and warm bowl of chili!
This chili recipe is really hearty and filling. Perfect for those cold days when you want something warm to eat. It can easily be made on the stove, but if you need dinner done when you get home it can also be made in the crock pot. Believe it or not, my kids love this chili recipe so it makes for great family dinners. Plus, it freezes well too. Freeze all the leftovers for easy lunches or to make chili dogs, chili fries, or chili mac.
Easy Three Bean Chili Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Chili Powder
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Chili Beans in Mild or Medium Sauce
- Stewed Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper
Delicious Chili Toppings
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Saltine Crackers
- Corn Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Avocado Slices
- Diced Onion
- Ground Beef: Feel free to sub ground turkey or even ground chicken for the beef.
- Stewed Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes are a great substitute.
- Mushrooms: Fresh or canned mushrooms will work.
- Tomato Sauce: Crush tomatoes can be subbed for the tomato sauce. The chili will be a bit thicker and chunkier.
- Beans: I choose to use kidney, black and flavored chili beans in this recipe. However you can choose whichever beans you like best.
How to Make Chili From Scratch on the Stovetop
This is a simple dump and go recipe that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. However, the longer you let it simmer the more flavorful it becomes.
- Chop the onion, drain and rinse the black beans and kidney beans, and drain the canned mushrooms.
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, brown the ground beef and diced onion until beef is no longer pink and the onion is translucent. Stir in the chili powder.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir it all together. Bring the chili to a small bubble and then reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for at least 15-20 minutes or up to one hour stirring often.
- Add your favorite toppings to your bowl of chili and enjoy!
How to Make Easy Three Bean Chili in the Crock Pot
Need dinner done when you get home? Try this delicious chili in the crock pot!
- First, brown the beef and onions in a skillet until no longer pink and onions are cooked. Stir in the chili powder and then add the beef to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Next, drain and rinse the black beans and kidney beans. Then stir them and the remaining ingredients in with the beef and cook the chili on low for 4-6 hours.
- Come home and enjoy a warm bowl of chili with your favorite toppings!
What are the Best Beans for Chili
You want to use beans that can hold up to the cooking process. Beans that will hold their own and not become complete mush. I like to use kidney beans, black beans and chili beans (which are pinto beans in a chili sauce). These beans will hold up well on the stovetop and in the crock pot.
How long will chili leftovers keep?
Leftover chili stored in an air tight container will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, warm on low on the stove or reheat in microwave.
Can Three Bean Chili be Frozen?
Yes! This recipes makes a decent sized batch, and I love freezing the leftovers. Once the chili has cooled, place it in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. Label, date and freeze. To thaw, take the chili out the night before and thaw in fridge.
FAQs About Easy Three Bean Chili
This is based on personal preference, but in my opinion the best ingredient is the chili powder. You want to use a good chili powder that is going to send a whole bunch of good chili and smoky flavors throughout.
A dash of Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon or two of BBQ sauce, or a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder can really enhance the flavors of chili.
Most cans of chili beans are made with pinto beans and a chili sauce. They range in spice from mild to hot.
More Hearty Dinner Dishes that are Family Friendly
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Tator Tot Hotdish
- Classic Spaghetti Carbonara
- Busy Day Steak in Crock Pot
- Ground Beef & Mushroom Stroganoff
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Iowa Maid Rites
- Pizza Soup
- Baked Rigatoni Casserole
- Taco Pasta Skillet
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
- Crock Pot Pizza Chicken
Easy Three Bean Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, heaping
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can red kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 2- 15 oz cans chili beans, mild or medium sauce
- 15 oz can stewed tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
- 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained or fresh mushrooms
- 2- 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
Stove Top Instructions
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, brown beef and onions together until beef is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Stir in the chili powder.
- Add the remaining ingredients: beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper. Stir it together.
- Bring the chili to a low bubble and then reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 15-20 minutes up to 1 hour, stirring often.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Crock Pot Method
- In a skillet brown the beef and onions until beef is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Stir in the chili powder.
- Add the beef and onions to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper. Stir it together.
- Cover and cook the chili on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!