This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup is such an easy and quick soup to whip together. Packed with flavor, protein, and veggies. Perfect for a cold winter night, a cool fall day, or any other night you want an amazing and family friendly soup to enjoy!
If you have a taco loving family, this soup is going to be a big winner. It has all the flavors of tacos but in an easy soup. Plus, it is super quick to make which makes it a perfect recipe for busy nights.
Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. I especially like this Chicken Taco Soup because it is packed with so much flavor, but it is even better will all the different topping options.
This post was originally posted on 1/15/2020 and updated on 10/8/2021.
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
- Chicken, cooked & chopped or shredded
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Tomato Paste
- Taco Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Chicken Broth
- Frozen Corn
- Cooked Chicken: You can start with raw chicken breasts and cook them in the Instant Pot with this shredded chicken recipe or you can chop the chicken and sauté it with a little olive oil in the soup pot before starting the rest of the soup. If you like you can also use ground turkey crumbled and cooked, or leftover chicken from roasted chicken or crock pot chicken.
- Olive Oil: Another neutral oil can be used like: canola, vegetable, or avocado. Butter can also be used.
- Green Pepper: Any color of sweet bell pepper can be used.
- Taco Seasoning: I prefer to use my homemade taco seasoning, but if you don't have the desire to make your own you can use the store bought packets.
- Crushed Tomatoes: If you prefer a more smoother soup, you can use a 15 oz can of tomato sauce.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes: To add a little bit more spice to the soup, you can use a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. Or you can use regular diced tomatoes.
- Chicken Broth: Vegetable broth, beef broth or water mixed with chicken bouillon can be used.
How to Make Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- If needed chop and cook the chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, sauté chopped green pepper and onions in olive oil until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add minced garlic and sauté another minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Next, add the cooked chicken, tomato paste, taco seasoning, salt and black pepper. Stir it around until chicken and veggies are coated well.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the frozen corn and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Toppings for Chicken Taco Soup
- Shredded Cheese
- Diced Avocado
- Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro Leaves
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Diced Fresh Tomatoes
Storing Chicken Taco Soup
Storing: Store any leftover cooled soup in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat over low heat on the stove or in the microwave.
Freezing: Place leftover cooled soup in freezer safe air tight containers or zip top bags and then label, date and freeze. Soup will last 3-4 months in the freezer. Thaw the soup overnight in the fridge and reheat over low heat on the stove or in the microwave.
Make Soup Into a Freezer Meal
This soup is a great recipe to make as a freezer meal, and it's simple! Add all the ingredients into a freezer safe zip top bag, label, date and freeze. When ready to use the freezer meal, thaw it overnight and reheat it over low heat on the stove or in the crock pot on low for 2-4 hours.
Another option is to add all the ingredients to a freezer safe zip top bag except use raw chicken. Label, date and freeze the bag. Thaw the soup overnight, then the next morning add the soup to a crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. If the soup is still partially frozen cook on low for 8 hours.
Then simply serve the cooked soup with all your favorite toppings. A super easy and flavorful meal that can be done in minutes.
More Delicious Chicken Soup Recipes:
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Dumpling Soup
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Chicken and Potato Stew
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14½ oz fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 14½ oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Optional toppings shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes, tortilla chips, cilantro, guacamole
- If needed, chop and cook the chicken.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, sauté chopped green pepper and onions in olive oil until soft and tender.
- Add minced garlic and sauté another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, tomato paste, taco seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Mix it together until veggies and chicken are evenly coated.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, and chicken broth. Stir to completely combine.
- Bring soup to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in frozen corn and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!