Crock Pot Chicken Tacos are an easy and family favorite dinner. A few simple ingredients is all you need to make this recipe that is perfect for busy nights and make ahead meals.
Who is a fan of super easy recipes? Me too! This recipe is so incredibly easy. Toss some chicken, homemade taco seasoning, salt and chicken broth in a slow cooker and you'll end up with flavorful and juicy chicken ready for all your favorite taco toppings.
Plus, the taco seasoned chicken can be used in enchiladas, burritos, salads, nachos, wraps and more!
Some more of our favorite easy crock pot chicken meals are Pizza Chicken, White Chicken Chili, and a Whole Chicken.
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
- Chicken Broth
- Taco Seasoning
- Tortillas, Tortilla Chips, Taco Shells
- Favorite Taco Toppings: Lettuce, Shredded Cheese, Diced Tomatoes, Guacamole, Salsa, Sour Cream, Taco Sauce, Cilantro, Queso Cheese
- Chicken Breasts: Chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) are a great substitute.
- Chicken Broth: Water can be used instead of broth, but broth gives a richer chicken flavor.
- Taco Seasoning: I like to use my homemade taco seasoning. It's easy and has no fillers or junk in it. Feel free to use your own blend or a store bought packet.
- For added flavor you can stir in some of your favorite salsa or a can of diced tomatoes with chilis in with the shredded chicken.
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Add the chicken breast to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the taco seasoning and then salt.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken with tongs or 2 forks.
- Use the shredded chicken to make tacos and top with all your favorite fixings.
What to Serve with Chicken Tacos
We love to serve chicken tacos on flour tortillas, toasted corn tortillas, hard corn shells and my favorite tortilla chips along with refried beans and rice. Plus, all the toppings. These chicken tacos deserve all the fixings! Here are some of our favorites:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Homemade Guacamole
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Homemade Queso Cheese Sauce
How to Store Shredded Chicken Taco Meat
This recipe is great as a make ahead or meal prep meal. Make the chicken on your prep day and then store the cooled chicken in an air tight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh in the fridge for 4 days. To reheat the chicken warm it through in the microwave or on the stove over low heat.
FAQs About Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
Yes, this recipe calls for raw chicken. The crock pot will cook the chicken at a high enough heat to kill any bacteria. For safety and ease of mind, check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F before eating.
Yes, the cook time will probably need to increase and for safety you need to make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
The biggest tip for not drying out chicken breasts is to always cook on low setting. I have tried cooking chicken breasts on high and they tend to dry out. Chicken thighs are more forgivable and can be cooked on either low or high without drying out, however I almost always use the low setting for chicken.
More Taco Inspired Recipes:
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Taco Pasta Skillet
- Mexican Lasagna
- Taco Fries
- Baked Cumin Chicken
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Nachos
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add chicken to bottom of crock pot.
- Top with chicken broth.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with taco seasoning and then salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Shred chicken with tongs or 2 forks and serve with all your favorite taco fixings.
Leave a Reply