Baked Cumin Chicken is tender, juicy and incredibly simple to make! Perfect for topping salads or eating with a side of veggies. An easy, healthy recipe with a little southwest flare!
This post was originally posted on 5/27/2020 and updated on 3/4/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We LOVE this Baked Cumin Chicken
- This recipe is incredibly easy.
- It uses minimal ingredients, only 5 to be exact!
- A perfect chicken dish for weeknight dinners.
- Great recipe to use for meal prepping.
- This is a healthy chicken dish that is family friendly.
Baked Cumin Chicken Ingredients
How to Make Easy Baked Chicken Breast
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and add the olive oil to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine the cumin, salt and black pepper in a small bow and mix it together.
- Next, prepare the chicken. The chicken either needs to be pounded to an even thickness or butterflied to be less than an inch thick. I prefer to butterfly mine, then cutting it all the way through to make 2 pieces. Chicken breasts are so huge that each one can weigh a pound alone, so I always just cut them in half to make thinner breasts making sure they are as even as possible, which helps with even cooking.
- Now, place the chicken in the dish with the olive oil and coat both sides. Then, sprinkle the chicken evenly on both sides with the mixed seasonings.
- Finally, bake the chicken uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the internal temp reaches 160°F.
- Cover the chicken with foil and let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Note: Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chicken. My chicken was less than an inch thick. Chicken any thicker than an inch will need more cooking time.
Tips for Easy Baked Chicken Chicken Breast
- Make sure all the chicken has an even thickness. This will ensure even baking and juicy chicken.
- Season the chicken well so it's not bland.
- Always let your meat rest. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F pull it from the oven, cover with foil and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. It will continue to cook until 165°F and all the juices will redistribute through the meat ultimately creating the best and juiciest chicken.
- Slice the chicken after it has rested. Slicing before the chicken has rested will allow all the juices to flow out of the chicken before they have time to redistribute back through the meat.
What to Serve with Baked Cumin Chicken
We love to serve this chicken on top of salads or with a side of potatoes and veggies. Here are some of our favorite side dishes to have with this healthy baked chicken recipe:
- Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
- Crispy Oven Fries
- Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
- Taco Flavored Steak Fries
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Green Beans
Storing Baked Juicy Chicken Breast
Storing: Store cooked and cooled chicken breasts in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: The chicken can be reheated 3 different ways: in the oven, microwave or on the stove. Each way has it's own pros and cons. The oven takes the longest but evenly reheats the chicken. The stove top retains the most moisture but will result in loss of seasonings. Finally, the microwave is the quickest, but dries out the chicken.
Stove Top: Cover the bottom of a skillet with just enough water to evenly cover it. Add the chicken and heat over medium heat until the chicken is warmed through, about 8-10 minutes.
Microwave: Add chicken to a microwave safe dish with sides. Add a few tablespoons of water and heat until the chicken is warmed through.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Simple Roasted Chicken Breast
- Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Roasted Spatchcock Chicken
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- Crispy Corn Flake Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Perfect Roast Chicken
Baked Cumin Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400°F and add the olive oil to a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Pound or slice the chicken in half to make the chicken even and less than an inch thick.
- Place the chicken in the dish with the olive oil, and turn chicken to coat both sides.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken evenly with the seasoning mix.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes and until internal temp reaches 160°F.
- Cover with foil and let chicken rest 5-10 minutes before serving.