This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is a delicious sweet and savory dish that will be on the table within 30 minutes. A perfect weeknight meal the entire family is going to ask for over and over.
No need for take out when you have this recipe in your arsenal. It is so good and easy peasy. Now there is nothing wrong with a good ole take out night to give yourself a much deserved break. I take those breaks too! However, why wait for an easy chicken and rice dish that you can make at home in a matter of 30 minutes? Not to mention your pocket book will thank you!
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Soy Sauce
- Minced Onion
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Corn Starch
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions
- Cooked Rice
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would work well in this recipe, increase the cook time to 10 minutes and continue with a 10 minute natural release, then do a quick release.
- Ketchup can be used in place of the sweet chili sauce. I do suggest the next time you are out shopping to get yourself a bottle of it. It is a tasty condiment to have on hand in the fridge for making easy dishes like this one. Be sure to check the labels of different brands, some will have a lot of food dye in them and other unnecessary ingredients.
- Substitute liquid aminos for the soy sauce, or coconut aminos if you need to avoid soy.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken in the Instant Pot
- In a small bowl, combine: honey, soy sauce, minced onion, sweet chili sauce, olive oil, and minced garlic. Give it a good whisk until it is well blended and smooth.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the instant pot and sprinkle them with some salt and pepper. Remember there is soy in the sauce, so go easy on the salt.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing. Set the pot to high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow the pot to do a 10 minute natural pressure release and then carefully do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken and set aside on a cutting board.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cool water until dissolved.
- Set the pot to Saute and drizzle the cornstarch slurry into the sauce while whisking at the same time.
- Bring sauce to a bubble and cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in a serving dish. Pour sauce over the chicken and give it a gentle mix.
- Serve chicken over cooked rice with a sesame seed and green onion garnish.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken without an Instant Pot
There are a couple ways you could make this, stove top and crock pot.
Crock Pot Method: Place the chicken and sauce mix in the crock pot on low for 6 hours. Once the time is up, remove chicken and either pour the sauce into a pot or crank up the heat on your crock pot to high. Drizzle in the cornstarch slurry and whisk over medium heat on the stove until thickened about 3-5 minutes, or whisk slurry into sauce in crock pot and let thicken for 15-30 minutes.
Stove Top Method: Dice up the chicken breast and sauté it in some olive oil over medium heat until fully cooked. Add the sauce mix over the chicken and bring to a low bubble. Stir in the cornstarch slurry and keep stirring until the sauce has thickened.
I prefer to make my rice in the instant pot, but if you only have one instant pot you can use an instant rice or a bag of rice that you just heat in the microwave. My kids love the garlic rice and quinoa from Seeds of Change. If you have more than one Instant Pot (like moa) check out these posts I have written on making the best fluffy rice:
Instant Pot Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Brown Rice
More Instant Pot Recipes...
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Mac-N-Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Hard "Boiled" Eggs
- Split Pea Soup
- Pulled Pork
- Salsa Chicken Nachos
- Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Iced Coffee
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Treat yourself to homemade take out and try this Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and let me know how much everyone enjoyed it in the comments below along with a star rating, please! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless, about 3 breasts
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced onion, dried
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, heaping
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
- sesame seeds, garnish
- sliced green onions, garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, minced onion, sweet chili sauce, olive oil, and minced garlic until smooth.
- Place chicken in bottom of instant pot and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and some pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Place lid on pot and set valve to sealing.
- Set cooker to high pressure for 6 minutes. Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Once the pin has dropped, remove lid. Remove chicken and set aside on a cutting board.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and cool water to create a slurry.
- Set instant pot to sauté mode and slowly drizzle the slurry into the sauce while whisking. Bring the sauce to a bubble and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened, then turn off the instant pot.
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces and place in serving bowl. Pour sauce over chicken and give it a gentle mix. Or you can add chicken right back into the pot and serve out of that.
- Serve chicken over cooked brown or white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.