Instant Pot Brown Rice creates perfect tender rice every time. A no fuss method to get fluffy brown rice on the dinner table quicker! Who knew the perfect rice recipe could be so easy!
This post was originally posted on 2/2/2021 and updated on 6/23/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
If you eat rice on a weekly basis and are tired of babysitting the rice on the stove top while your trying to also cook the rest of your dinner, then this is the recipe you need in your life.
I have done all the testing for you, so you can get out that electric pressure cooker and just set it and forget it until dinner time! You will not want to make rice any other way after this.
- Olive Oil: You can use avocado oil, vegetable oil or canola oil too.
- Long Grain Brown Rice: This recipe works with brown basmati rice and raw wild rice. If you substitute with any other rice, the cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Water: You can use any flavor broth or bullion mixed with water to add some extra flavor to the rice.
This instant pot brown rice recipe is an easy way to get a hearty side dish on the table in a fraction of the time! Plus you get perfect results every time!
Hot to Make Brown Rice in the Instant Pot
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of the pot. This will help prevent any sticking.
- Then add the long grain brown rice, and a little salt.
- Pour water over the rice and do NOT stir. I got better results when I didn't stir.
- Secure the lid on the pot and set the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- Set the pot to Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let the pot do a natural release, until there is no remaining pressure and the pin has dropped. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
- Serve with your favorite meal and enjoy!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Brown Rice
Here are some of our favorite main dish recipes that we like to have with flavored or plain rice:
Difference Between Brown Rice and White Rice
The main difference between the two is long-grain brown rice is a whole grain, meaning white rice has been processed and is a refined grain. Brown rice is known to be healthier because it has more fiber and nutrients than white rice. White rice is stripped of the bran and germ, which is the healthiest part of the rice.
Brown Rice to Water Ratio for the Instant Pot
The key to making the perfect brown rice in the Instant Pot is the ratio of water to rice. This is important to get the perfect fluffy texture you want in rice. The ratio is 1:1. For every cup of brown rice you need one cup of water. It doesn't matter how much rice you make, the ratio stays the same.
Pro Tip: Use the same measuring cup for the rice and the water. This will ensure precise measuring, and perfectly fluffy rice every time.
How Much Rice Can be Cooked
This will all depend on the size of your Instant Pot. I usually use my 6 quart instant pot for rice. I cook for 6 and will make 2 cups of brown rice, which makes more than 6 cups of rice. However, if you want more for leftovers you can double or triple the recipe. Just make sure you account for the expansion of the rice and it does not go over the fill line. Making extra is a great way to meal prep for lunches.
FAQs About Instant Pot Brown Rice
It is not recommended to use the rice button for brown rice. The rice button is designed just for long grain white rice. If you were to use the rice button, the brown rice would come out under done and hard.
No. Many people suggest it, to clear away some of the starch. I tested this recipe both ways and I honestly could not tell a difference between rinsed rice and not rinsed. You do what you feel most comfortable with.
Yes! This instant pot method works for all types of rice. Same 1:1 ratio, the timing will just be different. White rice and Basmati are both long grain and use this method with a 5 minute cook time and natural pressure release. Jasmine is a little shorter grain and will only need 3 minutes on high pressure with a natural release. Wild rice will cook the same as the brown rice, high pressure for 15 minutes and a natural pressure release.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Add olive oil to bottom of instant pot.
- Add the brown rice and pinch salt.
- Pour the water over the rice and do NOT stir.
- Place lid on pot and set valve to sealing.
- Set instant pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release.
- Once the pin drops, remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.