This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Sweet and tasty Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is an easy dinner made quick in the Instant Pot creating juicy and tender chicken thighs smothered in a sweet homemade sauce. This will be a new favorite weeknight meal that will please the whole family!
I have to say that I am absolutely in love with my Instant Pot. I can't believe there was a time that I was actually too afraid to use it. Yes, that is correct! I was too scared to even try it. Thankfully with some help from some friends, I finally got past the fear and started using this awesome appliance! I haven't looked back since, and I now have 2 Instant Pots! Different sizes of course.
This post was originally posted on 06/16/2020 and updated on 04/26/2021.
Teriyaki Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Ground Ginger
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Corn Starch
- Cooke Rice for Serving
How To Make Teriyaki Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Place chicken thighs in the instant pot. It's alright if you have to layer them.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of water, minced garlic, and ground ginger until mixed well.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place lid on instant pot and make sure valve is set to sealing.
- Set the instant pot on high pressure for 10 minutes, and do a 10 minute natural pressure release. Then you can do a quick release.
- Once the pin has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken from the the pot to a serving platter or plate.
- Whisk the cornstarch and ¼ cup water together to make a slurry.
- Set the instant pot to saute mode and whisk in the cornstarch slurry.
- Let the sauce bubble until it has thickened enough to to coat the back of a spoon. Takes about 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Turn the pot off and pour the sauce over the chicken or place the chicken back into the sauce until ready to serve.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
Forget to thaw the chicken? No problem! All you have to do is adjust the cooking time. To use frozen chicken thighs: add the chicken to the instant pot still frozen. Set the instant pot to high pressure for 13 minutes and do a 10 minute natural release. Then follow the recipe as is directs.
FAQs About Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
If the texture of your chicken is a little tough and rubbery you didn’t cook it long enough. Make sure you are doing a 10 minute natural pressure release. The natural release is what helps the chicken become tender and stay juicy.
Most recipes call for at least 1 cup of water. Follow the recipe directions for exact amounts and read your instruction manual.
Yes, it doesn't matter if the chicken is touching or not. Be sure to evenly season the chicken before stacking so every piece of chicken has been seasoned.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try:
- Brown Rice
- White Rice
- Beef Tips and Gravy
- Split Pea Soup
- Mashed Potatoes
- Pulled Pork
- Drip Beef
- Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Mac N Cheese
- Iced Coffee
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Place the chicken thighs in the instant pot.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, 2 T water, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on and set the pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes and then a quick release.
- Once the pin drops, remove the lid. Remove the chicken to a plate. Set the instant pot to Sauté mode.
- Whisk together the corn starch and ¼ cup water.
- When the sauce has started to bubble, whisk in the corn starch slurry.
- Let the sauce bubble for 2-3 minutes until it has thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken or add the chicken back into the sauce until ready to serve.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.