This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This recipe is so easy and quick thanks to the pressure cooker doing all the work. It's a great meal that doesn't need a lot of babysitting. It's also fast which makes it perfect for weeknight dinners, but it's also special enough for Sunday dinners.
If you have meat and potato fans in your family, this recipe is going straight to their heart. They are going to fall in love with this recipe that has succulent beef stew meat bathed in a decadent mushroom and onion gravy. Your family will be begging for this dinner all the time and fighting over the last bites! Believe me, I know... it happens every time I make this delicious dinner!
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Stew Meat or Cubed Sirloin
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Corn Starch
- Olive Oil: Any type of oil will work, vegetable, canola or avocado. I prefer olive oil for the flavor.
- Stew Meat: Cubed stew meat from the grocery store is the easiest meat to use for this recipe. However, chuck roast or sirloin tip roast cut into cubes can be used.
- Sliced Mushrooms: White button mushrooms, creminis or baby portabellas are good choices for this recipe because they are all the same type of mushroom at different ages, but all have the same flavor profile.
- Onion: I prefer yellow onions, but a white onion can be substituted.
How to Make Beef Tips and Gravy From Scratch
- Prepare your ingredients. I like to use kitchen shears and cut the stew meat in half for smaller chunks that are more bite sized and easier for the kids to eat.
- Then, set your instant pot to sauté mode and add olive oil.
- When it's hot, add the meat and season with salt and pepper. Sear the meat in batches, turning the beef to brown all sides. Remove the meat and set aside on a plate.
- Add the beef broth to the instant pot and scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the bits off.
- Next, carefully add the onions, mushrooms, Worcestershire, garlic and beef including all the juices.
- Place the lid on the pot and set it to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 15 minutes and then carefully do a quick release when the time is up.
- Whisk together the corn starch with cool water until smooth.
- Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid. Turn the instant pot off and then set it to sauté.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry in with the beef and mushrooms.
- Let the beef and gravy boil for 1-2 minutes until the beef has thickened and then turn the pot off.
- Serve immediately over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.
Which Cut of Beef is Best for Beef Tips
I most often use stew meat. Stew meat already cut from the butcher or grocery store works great for this recipe and is a huge time saver. However for a more budget friendly option you can buy a chuck roast and cut it into cubes yourself. It'll be a few bucks cheaper than buying the stew meat and you'll get more meat for your buck. Another good cut of meat for this recipe is sirloin. Again, buy the roast and cut into chunks yourself.
Can Instant Pot Beef Tips be Made Ahead of Time
Yes, this recipe works great for making ahead. Make the entire recipe ahead of time, let it cool, and then refrigerate until needed. It will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat the meal, gently heat it on low on the stove or use a microwave.
Tips for the Best Pressure Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
- Cut the cubed beef into 1-1½ inch chunks. This will allow for a quicker cooking time, a tender bite of beef and the chunks will be better sized for the kids.
- Not a fan of onions or mushrooms? Feel free to leave the mushrooms out. I recommend using the onions, because they basically disintegrate into the gravy making it extremely flavorful.
- Make the mashed potatoes with the beef tips. Use a steamer basket and place it on top of the beef, veggies and broth. Once you remove the lid, take out the potatoes and proceed to making them mashed potatoes with some butter and milk.
FAQ About Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
Beef tips are usually the trims from the tenderloin or sirloin. Stew meet can really be anything, but most places use the trims and extras from roasts like chuck, round, and sirloin.
The instant pot makes the meat tender. It's able to cook at such high heat that creates steam and breaks down the cartilage and fat in the meat. This is what makes the meat so tender. The time it takes will depend on the size and temperature of the meat you are using. In this recipe it only takes 15 minutes of cook time for bit size pieces of beef.
For this recipe the beef needs to be cooked at high pressure for 15 minutes with a quick pressure release. Other cuts of beef will take longer. Instant Pot's website suggests a good rule of thumb is to estimate 20-25 minutes per pound for fresh roasts or large chunks of beef.
Other Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Mac N Cheese
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Pulled Pork
- Salsa Chicken Nachos
- Split Pea Soup
- White Rice
- Shredded Chicken
- Iced Coffee
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Brown Rice
- Buffalo Mac N Cheese
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
- Set instant pot to sauté mode and add olive oil.
- Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and sauté in batches searing all sides. Set beef aside.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot and scrape the bottom getting all the bits off.
- Stir in the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, onion, mushrooms, and beef with all its juices.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. Set the pot to high pressure for 15 minutes and do a quick release once the time is up.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid. Turn off the instant pot and then set to sauté mode. Stir in the cornstarch slurry.
- Let the beef and gravy bubble for 1-2 minutes until the gravy has thickened.
- Turn off the instant pot and serve immediately over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.