This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Nachos are so flavorful and simple to make. This meal is quick, easy and will make dinner time with the family extra fun!
Nachos for dinner? Yes, yes and yes! Making nachos is a great way to keep dinner fun and exciting, and of course delicious too! This is also another way to mix up your taco nights, because we all know that I am obligated by the oldest child to have some sort of taco night every week. If not, she will be so disappointed and no one likes to have a mopey child in the house. She approved with a mouthful of these nachos and two thumbs up!
What is in Salsa Chicken Nachos?
- Chicken Breast, boneless & skinless
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- Red Bell Pepper
And all the topping fixings!
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Cilantro Leaves
- Avocados or Guacamole
- Shredded Lettuce
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
I only tested this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, I think you should be able to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs just fine.
What kind of salsa did you use?
I used my homemade black bean and corn salsa. There is a variety of jarred versions available at most grocery stores. You can use your favorite salsa if you prefer. I would recommend a chunky salsa, not pureed. Chunky salsa will have more texture and a little bit more moisture, creating nice juicy chicken.
I don't have a red pepper, can I use a green pepper?
Of course! The pepper gives more texture to the dish, and my family happens to like red and orange bell peppers the best. You can use whatever color you have on hand.
How to Make Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot
This recipe can't get any easier. It's a simple dump, set and let it cook the chicken to create this delicious nachos!
Add the chicken breast, salsa, diced red pepper, and water to the instant pot. Place lid on, set valve to sealing and set the pot on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let the pot naturally release for 7 minutes and then carefully do a quick release. Once the float valve has dropped remove the lid.
Remove the chicken and shred it. Place the shredded chicken back in the pot with the salsa and stir it up. Serve the chicken over tortilla chips and immediately top with your favorite fixings!
Using the Crock Pot to make Salsa Chicken
This recipe can also be made in the crock pot. Like the Instant Pot method, this way is an easy dump and set recipe too.
Add the chicken, salsa and diced red peppers to the crock pot. Omit the water for this recipe. The chicken will give off enough moisture while it slowly cooks. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours.
3 Easy Ways to Shred Cooked Chicken
- Use 2 forks: With a fork in each hand, pull the chicken apart. This is the method I use the most.
- By Hand: When the chicken is cool enough to handle, simply pull it apart with your fingers.
- Stand Mixer: Place the chicken in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and turn on low. Turn off when the chicken is in the desired sized pieces. You can use a hand beater if you don't have a stand mixer. This method is great when having to shred a lot of chicken.
Tips for Making the Best Salsa Chicken Nachos
- Choose a good chunky salsa to use. This creates a good variety of texture for the nachos and a good amount of moisture for the chicken.
- Use a slotted spoon to dish the chicken over the chips. It will help eliminate too much liquid on the chips. Too much liquid will create soggy nachos and you want them to be crunchy.
- Add the cheese on top of the chicken immediately after placing on chips. It will melt the cheese nicely without any need to heat up the plate of nachos, making this dinner even faster.
In need of more Instant Pot recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Pulled Pork
- Drip Beef Sandwiches
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Mashed Potatoes
- Split Pea Soup
- Hard "Boiled" Eggs
Make dinner time fun and try these Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Nachos and let me know what you and your family think of them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Nachos
- 2 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 32 oz black bean & corn chunky salsa
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- ½ cup water
- Tortilla chips
- Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocados, guacamole
- Place chicken, salsa, red pepper and water in the instant pot.
- Secure lid, set valve to sealing, turn pot to high pressure and set for 8 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 7 minutes and carefully do a quick release.
- Once the float valve has dropped, remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Place chicken back in pot and stir together with salsa.
- Place chicken over bed of tortilla chips using a slotted spoon.
- Immediately top with cheese and your favorite toppings.
To use the Crock Pot:
- Place chicken, salsa, and red pepper in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
I never leave reviews but this was hands down some of the best healthier versioned muffins I’ve ever had. I used chocolate chips (i didn’t put many in) and blueberries (I want to add more next time) and cinnamon. This is a keeper!