This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This is the Best Ever Egg Bake because it is easy to whip up, requires only 5 ingredients including: hashbrowns, cheese, ham, eggs and milk. This is a perfect crowd pleaser meal, company breakfast, brunch dish or breakfast for dinner recipe.
This recipe is full of many many memories for me. I grew up eating this breakfast at my Great Aunt Lois's on the weekends, and afterwards we always got to do some other cooking, baking, sewing or dressing up in her clothes. My sister and I would put on a fashion show and we thought we were so cool. Like I said, I'm attached to this recipe for many reasons.
I make this recipe all the time now for my family. It is a family favorite, for good reasons! This breakfast recipe is so easy to make, only a few simple steps with little ingredients and ready to be enjoyed by many! It's perfect for a brunch potluck, to serve to family and friends for breakfast, and it makes the best breakfast for dinner dish.
This post was originally posted on 02/14/2017 and updated on 02/22/2021.
Egg Bake Casserole Ingredients
- Frozen Hashbrowns
- Shredded Co-Jack Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
Egg Bake Substitution Ideas:
- Hashbrowns: Instead of hashbrowns you can use frozen country style potatoes or diced hashbrowns with the onions and peppers.
- Co-Jack Cheese: Substitute your favorite cheese or use a combination of cheeses. Sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and Monterey jack are some of my favorites.
- Ham: I prefer ham in this dish to any other breakfast meat. However, bacon and sausage are really good in this recipe too. Pre-cook the meat prior to assembling the egg bake.
- Add Ins: You can also add in some diced onions, peppers, or mushrooms. I suggest sautéing them until soft before assembling. This will allow moisture from the veggies to be released which will prevent the dish from being runny.
How to Make the Best Egg Bake with Hashbrowns
- Grease a deep 9x13 baking dish and add the frozen hashbrowns. Season the hashbrowns with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the cheese on top of the hashbrowns followed by the diced ham.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs until smooth and pour over the ham and hashbrowns.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 55-65 minutes, until golden brown and a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with a side of fruit, English muffin, or toast.
How do you know when egg bake is done?
My tried and true way to check for doneness is to insert the tip of a butter knife into the center and all the way to the bottom of the dish. If the knife comes out clean then the egg bake is finished, but if the knife has some liquid or looks wet when it comes out, it is not fully cooked.
How long does an egg bake last?
What are some different egg dishes?
There are so many different ways to make eggs: fried, boiled, poached (my favorite), omelets and so much more. Here are some of my family's favorite egg dishes:
- Mini Ham & Cheese Frittatas
- Egg In A Hole
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Ham & Cheese Oven Omelet
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Tator Tot Egg Bake
FAQ About Egg Bake
If your egg bake turns out runny it is usually from excess moisture being released into the egg bake, usually from any added vegetables. To avoid this, sauté the vegetables and any dense meats before assembling the egg bake.
Yes! This is a great recipe to prep ahead of time. Prep all the ingredients and store them in the fridge overnight, then assemble the egg bake in the morning and bake.
More Breakfast and Brunch Ideas:
- Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
- How to Bake Bacon
- French Toast Casserole
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Favorite French Toast
- Banana Belgian Waffles
Best Ever Egg Bake
- 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns, approx 2 lbs or any bag 26-32 oz
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded co-jack cheese
- 2 cup diced ham, or your favorite breakfast meat
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 deep baking or casserole dish.
- Pour the hashbrowns in the baking dish.
- Salt and pepper the hashbrowns.
- Sprinkle one cup of the cheese over the hashbrowns.
- Sprinkle the ham over the cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the 12 eggs.
- Stir in milk and some more salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg and milk mix over the hashbrowns and meat.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown and a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean.