This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Making these Easy Homemade Bagels has never been easier! No yeast, no rising, no boiling! Plus, you can bake them or air fry them! This recipe is a game changer, you're gonna want to make them fresh all the time!
I admit, we are a bagel family. We love them! My kids prefer bagels over toast. I always have some in the freezer and they are always on my grocery list. Well, I have to say, now that I have mastered this homemade recipe I can cross them off my grocery list, permanently! I can make double or triple batches and stash them in my freezer too! They freeze well, toast well and are so easy to make!
How To Make Easy Homemade Bagels
- 2-¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-½ cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- Everything Bagel Seasoning, minced onions, garlic, salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or any favorite bagel seasoning you like
Can I substitute regular yogurt?
Yes you can, I however have not tried this recipe with regular yogurt. Regular yogurt is thinner so you may need to add a little more flour, or a little less yogurt to get the perfect consistency.
Can I substitute bread flour or self rising flour?
Yes to both. You can substitute bread flour evenly for the all purpose flour. You can also substitute with self rising flour, but you will need to omit the baking powder and salt as that is already added to self rising flour.
How to Make the Bagels
First, like I say in almost all my recipes, gather all your ingredients. It is so much easier and quicker to have everything ready to go.
Once you have what you need, start by combining the flour, baking powder and salt. Next add in the greek yogurt using a spatula or wooden spoon. Mix until it starts resembling large crumbs. Now you'll need to start mixing it together by hand. Just keep mixing it, until it forms a ball.
After the ball is formed, knead it in the same bowl just a few times and shape it into a ball and pat it down to flatten it a bit. Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles, like you were to cut a pizza. Take each triangle and roll it out into a 12 in long rope. I do this right on my counter. A clean counter of course! Then connect the ends by pinching them together to create a bagel! Place the bagels on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Whisk the egg white and water together and brush the egg wash over the bagels being sure to cover the outer and inner edges. Sprinkle with your desired seasonings.
Now, you can make these bagels one of two ways, in the oven or in the air fryer. The oven takes a few minutes longer, but can make more at at time. The air fryer is faster, but my fryer can only make 4 at a time. You choose your best method. They taste delicious either way!
Bake the prepared bagels in a 375° oven for 25 minutes on the top rack.
Spray the air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray. Preheat fryer to 300°. Place bagels on basket bottom and air fry for 15 minutes.
Either way you use, they turn out amazing! They are chewy like a store bought bagel and oh so delicious! Eat them once they are cool enough to touch, or store in a airtight container on the counter, or make a lot and freeze them!
How to Freeze Easy Homemade Bagels
Let the bagels cool completely, then place in an airtight container or zip top bag. They should last 3-4 months in the freezer. I can't say for sure because ours are never in the freezer for more than a month before I have to make more. Yes, they are that good!
Here are some more easy recipes you might enjoy!
Give this Easy Homemade Bagels recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below! You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing!
Pin the recipe for later!
Easy Homemade Bagels
- Preheat oven to 375° or an air fryer to 300°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the greek yogurt with a spatula or wooden spoon until crumbly. Use your hands to finish mixing and form a ball.
- In the same bowl, knead the ball of dough a few times and shape into a ball again and flatten a bit with your hands.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles like you would cut a pizza.
- Take each triangle and roll the dough into a 12 inch long rope. Join the ends and pinch together to form a bagel. Place bagels on baking sheet.
- Whisk together the egg white and water. Brush the egg wash over the bagels, making sure to get the outer edges and inside. Sprinkle with desired seasonings.
- Bake the bagels for 25 minutes on the top rack until golden brown.
Air Fryer Method
- Grease the basket of the air fryer. Place the bagels on the bottom of the basket, not touching or overlapping.
- Fry for 15 minutes.
Serving the Bagels
- Enjoy right away or let cool and store on counter or freeze.
- To reheat: toast them in the toaster.