Making these Easy Homemade Bagels has never been easier! No yeast, no rising, no boiling! Plus, you can bake them or air fry them! This recipe is a game changer, you're gonna want to make them fresh all the time!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This post was originally posted on 5/21/2020 and updated on 3/31/2023.
Why We Love These Easy Homemade Bagels
- No yeast needed! These chewy bagels are made with simple ingredients.
- Bake or air fry these bagels. No boiling water needed.
- No fancy gadgets, cutters or special equipment needed. Just use your own tools, your hands!
- You can customize them to make all your favorites!
- Fresh, warm bagels are ready to enjoy within 45 minutes.
- This homemade version is much healthier than store bought.
Easy Homemade Bagel Ingredients
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Egg White
- Everything Bagel Seasoning, Minced Onions, Garlic, Salt, Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Cinnamon Sugar or your favorite bagel seasoning.
- All Purpose Flour: I like all purpose flour the best with this recipe, however you can use bread flour for a more chewy texture. You could also use self rising flour, but you will need to omit the baking powder and salt in the recipe.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: I have not tried this recipe with regular yogurt. Regular yogurt is thinner so you may need to add a little more flour, or a little less yogurt to get the perfect consistency. You could also use Vanilla Greek Yogurt if you want a sweeter bagel. I tried it and it was delicious with a cinnamon sugar topping.
- Toppings: Use your favorite. I've used Everything Bagel Seasoning, Minced Onions, Garlic, Salt, Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, and Cinnamon Sugar. All are very delicious.
This is seriously such an easy recipe for delicious homemade bagels. All you need is some basic ingredients, a large bowl and your favorite toppings for these baked bagels. Once you make them homemade, there is no turning back.
How To Make Easy Homemade Bagels with No Yeast
- Start by combining the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the Greek yogurt using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Mix until it starts resembling large crumbs. Once you've reached large course crumbs, it is easiest to mix it together by hand. Just keep mixing it, until it forms a ball.
- After the ball is formed, knead it in the same bowl just a few times and shape it into a ball. On a cutting board, pat it down to flatten it a bit.
- Using a knife, cut the bagel dough into 8 equal pieces, like you were to cut a pizza.
- Take each triangle and roll it out into a 12 in long rope on a lightly floured work surface. I do this right on my counter. A clean counter of course! Then connect the ends by pinching them together to create a bagel shape!
- Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg white and water together well. Brush the egg wash over the top of the bagels being sure to cover the outer and inner edges.
- Sprinkle bagels with your desired seasonings.
- Now, you can make these bagels one of two ways, in the oven or in the air fryer. The oven takes a few minutes longer, but can make more at a time. The air fryer is faster, but my fryer can only make 4 at a time. You choose your best method. They taste delicious either way!
Bake the shaped bagels that are on the prepared baking sheet in a preheated 375°F oven on the center rack for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Either way you use, they turn out amazing! They are chewy like a store bought bagel and oh so delicious! Eat them once they are cool enough to touch, or store in a airtight container on the counter, or make a lot and freeze them!
Ways to Serve Homemade Bagels
I personally love my bagels with a huge slather of cream cheese on each half, but there are many ways to serve these fresh bagels.
- Cream cheese is the most common way to serve bagels. Plus, there are so many different flavors and varieties to try!
- Make the bagels into a breakfast sandwich. Add a fried egg or scrambled eggs, slice of cheese, and some bacon, ham or sausage.
- Top each bagel half with some cream cheese, sliced smoked salmon and fresh dill. This is so delicious!
- If you like a more sweet option, spread with some chocolate almond or hazelnut spread and top that with some diced strawberries and additional chopped nuts.
- One of my kids favorite ways to eat bagels is to make them into little pizzas. Add some pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. Bake them on a sheet pan in a 400°F oven for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Or you can broil them for 2-3 minutes, watch closely so they don't burn.
Storing Easy Homemade Bagels
Storing: Store any cooled leftover bagels in an air tight zip top bag on the counter or in the fridge. They'll last 3-4 days on the counter and up to a week in the fridge.
Freezing: These homemade bagels freeze well! Place cooled bagels in a freezer safe airtight container or zip top bag. Label, date and freeze. They'll last up to 4 months in the freezer. To thaw them, simply let them sit at room temperature for a few hours.
Reheating: Best way to reheat these bagels is to use a toaster or a toaster oven.
Tips for Easy Homemade Bagels with Greek Yogurt
- Fluff your flour before measuring. Then spoon and level off as you measure. This will help make sure there isn't too much flour added to the bagels.
- A wooden spoon or rubber spatula works best to get the dough to come together. Then use your clean hands to finish forming the dough and shaping into a smooth ball.
- If the dough is sticky, lightly flour your work surface.
- Want to add raisins or dried cranberries? Add 1 cup of the dried fruit to the dough while it is still a bit crumbly then work the fruit into the dough with your hands while your form a dough ball.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Chocolate Sour Cream Baked Donuts
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Blueberry Scones
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Waffles
- French Toast Mini Donuts
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Easy Homemade Bagels
- Preheat oven to 375°F or an air fryer to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt with a spatula or wooden spoon until crumbly. Use your hands to finish mixing and form dough a ball.
- In the same bowl, knead the ball of dough a few times and shape into a ball again. Place dough ball on lightly floured work surface and flatten a bit with your hands.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles like you would cut a pizza.
- Take each triangle and roll the dough into a 12 inch long rope. Join the ends and pinch together to form a bagel. Place bagels on baking sheet.
- Whisk together the egg white and water. Brush the egg wash over the bagels, making sure to get the outer edges and inside.
- Sprinkle the tops of the bagels with desired seasonings.
- Bake the bagels on center rack for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Air Fryer Method
- Grease the basket of the air fryer. Place the bagels on the bottom of the basket, not touching or overlapping.
- Air fry for 15 minutes.