This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Banana Belgian Waffles from scratch are fluffy on the inside and slightly crisp on the out, top them with some sweet maple syrup and you have the perfect breakfast or brunch.
Another great way to use those over ripe bananas sitting on the counter is with this homemade banana waffle recipe. Who wouldn't want one of these waffles for breakfast or even dinner? Or as my kids call it "brinner"-breakfast for dinner-get it? They're silly kids, but they love having brinner. It's on the menu every couple of weeks. I usually make them nice breakfasts as often as I can so they are not always eating cold cereal and milk. And as often as I do make them breakfast, they still ask for it for dinner-A LOT! It is safe to say that breakfast food is one of their favorites. This waffle recipe along with Chocolate Chip Waffles and Peanut Butter & Jelly Waffles are great ways to oblige their breakfast cravings.
This post was originally posted on 07/26/2016 and updated on 10/08/2020.
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Banana Belgian Waffles
How to Make Banana Belgian Waffles From Scratch
Step 1: Heat Waffle Iron
Step 2: Make the Waffle Batter
Whisk together the bananas, egg, vanilla and honey until smooth then whisk in the milk. Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk it just until everything is incorporated. Lumpy batter is good batter!
Step 3: Make Waffles
Use a ladle to scoop and pour the batter into the middle of the waffle iron. My iron takes about ½ cup or so of batter. Shut the top of the waffle maker and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Follow your waffle maker instructions for timing.
Step 4: Serve!
To keep the waffles warm before serving, place them on a sheet pan and in a 170° oven. When all the waffles are ready, serve them with pats of butter and warm maple syrup.
Different Ways to Serve Banana Belgian Waffles
- Peanut Butter & Syrup
- Just Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter & Sliced Bananas
- Strawberry Syrup
- Chocolate Chips & Whipped Cream
- Make it dessert: Add ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream
- Make a sandwich: Cut the waffle into quarters and add some cream cheese & cinnamon or peanut butter & jelly.
How to Freeze Banana Belgian Waffles
It is super easy to freeze these waffles. Let the waffles cool completely. You can freeze them whole or in quarters. I like to freeze them in quarters. Cut the waffles and then place them in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. Label and date the container and freeze.
How to Reheat Waffles?
Waffles can be reheated in the toaster, microwave or oven. My kiddos prefer using the toaster. Place the waffles in the toaster, frozen or thawed, and they will toast up great. To reheat in microwave: heat waffle for 30 seconds, flip waffle over and heat another 30 seconds-one minute until heated through. To reheat in the oven, place on sheet pan and heat in 350° oven for 15-20 minutes.
More Banana Recipes to try!
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Banana Pancakes with Fried Cinnamon Bananas
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Scones
- Banana Nut Bars
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
Use up your bananas and have a delicious and nutritious breakfast with these homemade Banana Belgian Waffles. Give them a try and let me know how much you and the kiddos enjoyed them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Banana Belgian Waffles
- Grease and heat a waffle iron. Follow your waffle iron instructions.
- Whisk together the bananas, eggs, vanilla and honey.
- Add milk and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together just until combined. Batter will be slightly lumpy and that's perfect.
- With a ladle or ½ cup measuring cup, pour batter into waffle iron. Bake for about 3-4 minutes until waffles are golden brown, or follow your waffle iron instructions.
- Serve with butter and warm syrup!