This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Crumb Topped Banana Bread is a soft and tender quick bread with a delicious streusel topping that takes it over the top! This is an easy banana bread recipe that gets so much extra flavor and crunch from the crumb top!
Banana bread is really quite simple to make and when you add the sweet crumb topping you've basically turned your simple and delicious banana bread into a coffee cake. Plus, this recipe makes 2 loaves, one to enjoy right away and one to freeze or share with a friend.
If you are looking for even more banana based recipes, check out these family favorites: Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins, Strawberry Banana Muffins, Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes, and Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This post was originally posted on 01/21/2020 and updated on 07/09/2021.
Ingredients for Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Salted Butter
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Brown Sugar
- Salted Butter: I like to use salted butter in my baked goods. I know a lot of people don't because they want more control of the amount of salt that goes in so you can substitute unsalted butter and add an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the batter.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Feel free to use all purpose in place of the whole wheat or you can also use all whole wheat flour. I like using a half and half blend because it creates a great texture and gives a hint of nutty flavor to the bread.
- Cinnamon: To me banana bread isn't good unless it has cinnamon. However, if you prefer you can leave the cinnamon out.
- Variations: If you like you can stir in 1 cup of your favorite chocolate chips or nuts.
How to Make Banana Bread with Streusel Topping
- First, make the crumb topping: combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
- Then, slice the butter into tablespoon size chunks, and cut it into the flour and sugar using a pastry blender, forks or finger tips until it resembles large course crumbs. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Next add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and whole wheat flour. Mix just until combined.
- Mix in half of the mashed bananas.
- Then add the all purpose flour and again mix just until combined.
- Finally, add the remaining bananas and mix until incorporated.
- Spread the bread batter evenly into two parchment lined 9x5 loaf pans.
- Top each evenly with the crumb topping and gently pat the topping down so it adheres to the batter.
- Bake the bread in a 350°F oven for 60-75 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove and cool completely.
Tips for the BEST Banana Bread Recipe:
- Always fluff your flour before measuring. Flour can become packed down in the bag or your container so it is best to always fluff then spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. This way you are not adding any extra flour that can dry out your bread or make it dense.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter. Over mixing will create a dense bread instead of soft and tender.
- Use over ripe bananas that are yellow with a lot of brown or black spots. As bananas ripen they become more sweet and softer making them ideal for baking with.
- If you like a really smooth consistency for the center of your bread, mash those bananas well. I like my bananas to be mashed but still have a little bit of chunks in them.
FAQs About Crumb Topped Banana Bread
No difference. Banana bread is a quick bread made without yeast and a banana loaf is also a quick bread simply made in a loaf pan.
The ratio to flour and fats is not right, first guess there was too much flour added to the batter. Also, over mixing and over baking the bread can cause it to become dry, dense and crumbly.
Most common reason would be too much butter was added to the flour and sugar mix. Also make sure the butter is fully incorporated with the flour and sugar so when it bakes it creates crunchy crumbs.
Other Quick Bread Recipes to try:
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Classic Zucchini Bread
- Blueberry Sweet Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Fresh Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread
- Sweet Cornbread
Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
- Slice the butter into tablespoon size chunks.
- Add the butter to the flour and sugar mix, and combine using a pastry blender, fork or fingers until the mix creates large course crumbs. Set mix aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 loaf pans (9x5 or 8-½x4) with parchment paper or grease liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whole wheat flour. Mix just until combined.
- Mix in half of the mashed bananas.
- Add all purpose flour, mix just until combined.
- Mix in the remaining mashed bananas until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 2 prepared pans.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over batter in both pans and gently pat down.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to cool completely.