Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is soft and tender and filled with flecks of green zucchini and chocolate chips. This recipe is a great way to use up some of your excess zucchini and give the family a sweet snack.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This post was originally posted on 8/7/2020 and updated on 9/7/2023.
Why This is the Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
- An easy quick bread that uses basic pantry staples.
- Can also be made into muffins!
- Great for a quick breakfast, a sweet snack or packed in lunches.
- Freezer friendly, so make a double batch and freeze the extra.
- The best way to use up any excess zucchini you have.
- Delicious! This bread is soft, tender and has the perfect amount of chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Large Eggs
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Shredded Zucchini
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Salted Butter: You can use unsalted butter, but I suggest adding an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the batter.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Please only use the pure extract. The imitation extract will leave an unpleasant taste in the bread and any other baked goods you use it in.
- All Purpose Flour & Whole Wheat Flour: You can use either of the flours. I like to use both in my quick breads and cookies. Gives a little extra nutty flour that is really yummy. If you only have one or the other on hand, no problem, just use what you have. Note, if you use all whole-wheat flour, the bread might get a bit dense, but it will still turn out great! You can also use white whole wheat flour, or a combination of any of those flours.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: If you want to use a different chocolate other than dark, you can sub with semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
This easy recipe for zucchini chocolate chip bread is the perfect way to use all that extra fresh zucchini.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- First, preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 5-inch loaf pan or line with parchment paper. I prefer parchment paper so it is guaranteed the bread will come out with ease.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients: vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition of egg.
- Next, add the dry ingredients: baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and the unbleached all purpose flour. Mix just until the flour is combined. Then add the whole wheat flour and again mix just until it is combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Now, stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. I do use my stand mixer for this part, I mix it in on low. Again, being careful not to over mix the batter. You can also fold it in with a spatula.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Top with extra chocolate chips to make it extra pretty. Then bake the bread for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool at least 15 minutes in the pan and then remove. Slice and serve while it's still warm or let the bread cool completely.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Follow the recipe above until the batter is complete.
- Using a large scoop fill the paper lined muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake muffins in a preheated 350°F oven for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Storing Zucchini Bread
Storing: Once the bread has completely cooled store in an airtight container at room temperature. Bread will stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Freezing: This is a great recipe for freezing. Wrap entire loaf or individual slices of bread in a double layer of plastic wrap. Then place in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top freezer bag, label and date, then store in freezer up to 4 months.
Thawing: Simply thaw on the counter for a few hours and then enjoy!
If you have an abundant amount of zucchini to use here are some more delicious recipes: Chocolate Zucchini Cake, Classic Zucchini Bread, Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, Zucchini Brownies, Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins and Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread.
Tips for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Use room temperature ingredients. It helps create a smooth batter more quickly.
- When creaming the butter and sugars make sure it is light, fluffy and well incorporated. Doing that creates air in the batter which helps create soft and tender bread.
- Always fluff your flour, then spoon it into the measuring cup and level off. That way you won't add too much flour and you'll end up with fluffy muffins rather than dense ones.
- Do NOT over mix the batter, the bread will be tough instead of tender. Mix just until the flour is incorporated.
FAQs About Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Nope! No need to spend extra time peeling the zucchini. The skin on zucchini is thin enough that it becomes really tender when baked, plus it makes the bread so pretty with all the flecks of green!
I shred zucchini two different ways. If I only need a cup or so of shredded zucchini, I'll grab a small zucchini and shred it with a box cheese grater. However, I often get large zucchinis (because they grow so fast sometimes!) so I'll get out the food processor and shred a bunch of zucchini at once. I like to do this because I can make a few extra batches of breads and muffins and freeze them for the kids so they are available for their lunches and snacks. Plus, you can always freeze the extra shredded zucchini too.
Yes, frozen shredded zucchini can be used. Let the frozen zucchini thaw and pat it dry as much as possible with paper towels or clean kitchen towel. No need to wring it out, just absorb the outside extra moisture. Then use the shredded zucchini in bread, muffins or even cake.
More Delicious Quick Bread Recipes:
- Blueberry Sweet Bread
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Apple Fritter Loaf
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the softened butter, sugar and brown sugar until well incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and all purpose flour. Mix just until incorporated.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix just until incorporated. Be careful to not over mix.
- Stir in shredded zucchini and dark chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and serve warm or let cool completely.