This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Tis the season for zucchini! My garden is in abundance of zucchini right now and it is fabulous! Personally, my favorite thing to do with zucchini is make breads and muffins. However, I do like grilled, sauteed and roasted zucchini. Zucchini noodles are great too. Have you ever stuffed a zucchini? I do it with pizza toppings and the kids go crazy for them! Plus, you can grate all your extra zucchinis, freeze it and have it ready to make breads or muffins anytime of the year! Now that you have some zucchini ideas, how about we get to these delicious chocolate and zucchini fused muffins? Great!
This is a great healthier muffin recipe! There is no eggs or oil and only a little bit of sugar. Plus all the nutrients and vitamins from the zucchini! The kids love them, my dad loves them, the hubby loves them and I love them (I think I covered all the guinea pig taste testers)! Can't go wrong with this recipe!
These muffins are perfect for breakfast, snacks, dessert and even added to lunches. Once I perfected the recipe, I made a big batch and froze them. It is almost back to school time and the kids love having muffins and yogurt for lunch. So I have a bunch of muffins in the freezer for school lunches. My dad and hubby also like to have muffins so I need A LOT of muffins stocked in the freezer. And I like to have a variety of them. Here is another family favorite you can make and put in the freezer too: Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins. Yum! Now go fuse some chocolate and zucchini, and tell me what you think! Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, or white whole wheat
- 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ cup water, + 1 Tablespoon
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk, any type you prefer: cows and almond work well
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini, peeled or unpeeled, I don't peel
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus extra for top if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine ground flaxseed and water. Stir. Let rest to thicken while you prepare rest of muffins.
- In a stand mixer bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla and thickened flaxseed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix with stand mixer on low just until combined.
- Add zucchini and mix on low just until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mix on low just until combined. Be careful not to overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Line 18 muffin cups with liners or grease well.
- Fill cups ¾ full. I use a large scoop that works perfectly.
- If desired, use the extra chocolate chips and sprinkle a few on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool completely on wire wracks. Store in airtight containers. These freeze well!