This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These soft and tender Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins are so buttery, fluffy and packed with the perfect amount of chocolate chips! They make a great breakfast, snack or packed lunch!
These muffins are a family favorite and it is no secret that I love baking muffins! I took a family banana bread recipe and tweaked it a bit to make these and the kids absolutely loved them. Not only do they taste amazing, but I make them super fun by buying the crazy fun muffin liners the kids like. This is a great recipe to use up your over ripe bananas that are on your counter or in your freezer. Plus, these Banana Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins freeze well! Freeze them to have on hand for lunches and quick snacks!
This post was originally posted on 7/30/2014 and updated on 9/07/2020.
Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Ripe Bananas
- Dark Chocolate Chips
Can I substitute the whole wheat flour with all purpose flour?
Yes. I am asked this often, and you can use all purpose flour in place of the wheat flour. I like to use a half and half blend of whole flour and all purpose flour when I make muffins other baked goods because I like the flavor and texture it gives. Plus, it is a tad bit healthier.
Can I use a different type of chocolate chips?
Absolutely! I have used semi-sweet, peanut butter and milk chocolate in these muffins. I have also used an assortment when I was running low in my pantry. Dark chocolate happens to be my favorite and these muffins are sweet, so the slight bitterness from the dark chocolate blends well with these muffins. Any kind of chocolate chip will work. Whichever type of chocolate chips are your favorite, you can use.
How to Make Banana Bread Muffins with Dark Chocolate Chips
This recipe is simple to make with a stand mixer, however you can use a hand beater as well. They both work like a charm and will have these muffins ready in minutes to throw in the oven. Here's the breakdown of instructions:
Beat the Wet Ingredients: Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and then beat in the vanilla.
Add the Dry Ingredients and Bananas Alternately: Gently mix in the whole wheat flour baking soda, salt, and cinnamon just until combined. Then add half of the bananas, mix in gently and add the remaining flour. Mix just until combined, followed by the remaining bananas.
Stir in Chocolate: Stir the chocolate chips in by hand, being sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl. Make sure it is all mixed together.
Fill Muffin Pans or Bread Pans: Line muffins pans with paper liners. Paper liners are great for clean up, however you can grease the muffin pans well too. Fill the muffin cups at least ¾ full. Using a large scoop or a heaping ¼ cupful will assure all the muffins will be the same size. You can also line 9x5 bread loaf pans with parchment paper and make loaves. This recipe will make approximately 32 muffins or 2 bread loaves.
Bake the Muffins: Bake the muffins in a 350° oven for 18-20 minutes. Bake the bread loaves for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffins or loaf comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing. Let bread cool in pans for 15 minutes, then remove.
How to freeze Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Once the muffins are completely cooled place them in a air tight freezer safe container or zip top bag. Label and date the contents and place in freezer. These will last 3-4 months in the freezer. Always make sure to rotate your stock in the freezer.
Tips for making the best Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Make sure your bananas are ripe. They should be yellow and at least half covered with black spots.
- Fluff your flour before measuring. Packed flour will add extra flour to the batter and will result in dense and sometimes dry muffins.
- Do NOT over mix the batter, this will make the muffins very tough and not fluffy. Lumpy batter is good batter.
- Fill the cups ¾ full so you get perfect dome shaped muffin tops.
- Do NOT skimp on the chocolate chips. 😉 You can add a few extra on top of the muffins after filling the cups to make them have an extra pretty presentation.
Looking for more great muffin recipes or more banana recipes? Look no further, I have got you covered with both!
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Banana Pancakes with Fried Cinnamon Bananas
Give these tasty and delightful Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins a try and let me know how much you love them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and mix well.
- Add half of the bananas and mix.
- Add all purpose flour and mix.
- Add remaining bananas and mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a large scoop or ¼ cup, fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Top each muffin with a few extra chips, optional
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack or counter.