This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These fluffy Strawberry Banana Muffins are bursting with fresh strawberries and ripe bananas. They are a breeze to whip up and turn out buttery, soft and delicious!
What can I say about strawberries and bananas? They would be a perfect married coupled. They go together like Peas & Carrots, like PB & Jelly, and like Laverne and Shirley (Anyone remember that show? I loved watching that show with my dad as a kid!) Any who you get the idea right? Strawberries and bananas just go great together! These Strawberry Banana Muffins are a match made in heaven and have the best soft and tender crumb. They freeze well and the kids love getting them for lunches and snack at school.
Looking for more delicious ways to use those over ripe bananas sitting on the counter? Try some of these family approved recipes: Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Scones, Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins, Crumb Topped Banana Bread, Banana Belgian Waffles, Peanut Butter Banana Brownies, Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes, Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Muffins, Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies, Banana Nut Bars and finally one of my favorites Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting!
This post was originally posted on 07/19/2016 and updated on 04/23/2021.
Strawberry Banana Muffin Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Salted Butter: Unsalted can be used, but increase the salt in the recipe to 1 teaspoon.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Feel free to substitute with all purpose flour. The whole wheat flour gives the muffins a slight nutty flavor but will be equally delicious with all purpose flour.
- Strawberries: Blueberries, raspberries and even blackberries can be used in place of the strawberries. Or you could do a mixed berry banana muffin. Fresh or frozen strawberries can be used. Thaw the strawberries in a colander, gently pat dry and cut in quarters. If using sliced frozen strawberries, use them frozen.
How to Make Strawberry Banana Muffins
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Then mix in vanilla extract.
- Next add: baking soda, salt and whole wheat flour and mix just until combined.
- Mix in half of the mashed bananas.
- Now add the all purpose flour followed by the remaining bananas and mix just until it is combined.
- In a small bowl, combine diced strawberries with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Gently fold the floured strawberries into the muffin batter.
- Using a large scoop, scoop the muffin batter into paper lined or greased muffin pans filling the cups ¾ full.
- Bake the muffins for 18-22 minutes in a 350°F preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 3-5 minutes then remove and let cool completely.
Tips for the Fluffiest Muffins
- Always fluff your flour, then spoon it into the measuring cup and level off. This helps create fluffy muffins rather than dense ones.
- Do NOT over mix the batter, the muffins will be tough instead of tender.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and use all the batter. This recipe makes exactly 24 muffins.
- Coat the strawberries and any other berries in flour before folding into batter. This helps keep the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the muffin and prevents having soggy spots inside the muffins.
- Use a scoop for filling muffin pans. This helps keep everything even and will ensure even baking throughout.
Can I use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes! Using frozen strawberries is a great way to enjoy these muffins all year long! If using frozen whole strawberries: thaw them in a colander, then gently pat them dry before quartering and coating in flour. When using sliced frozen strawberries, use them frozen. Stir them with some flour and then fold the frozen strawberries into the batter.
How to Store Strawberry Banana Muffins?
Once the muffins have completely cooled store them in an air tight container at room temp. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days. To keep the muffins longer, simply freeze them.
How to Freeze Muffins?
Place cooled muffins in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag, label and date, then store in freezer up to 4 months. Thaw muffins on counter for a few hours before needing them.
FAQs About Strawberry Banana Muffins
First thing, check that your leavening agent isn't expired or old. If the baking soda or baking powder is old and expired it won't do it's job properly in baked goods. Next, make sure that you are not undermixing your batter, it is important to have the baking soda or powder mixed thoroughly so each muffin will rise the same. Finally, make sure you are baking at the right temperature. If the oven is not hot enough it won't lift the batter properly.
Most likely the baking powder or baking soda used is old and expired. It also could be you are baking at too low of heat or the temperature of the oven isn't accurate. Using a oven thermometer will help determine accuracy of temperature.
Yes, they are both considered quick breads just made in different vessels.
More Scrumptious Muffins We Love:
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Pie Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Applesauce Mini Muffins
- Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with fun paper liners or grease well.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add baking soda, salt and whole wheat flour, mix just until combined.
- Add half of the bananas and mix.
- Add all purpose flour and mix.
- Add remaining bananas and mix just until combined.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon flour over Strawberries and gently stir.
- Fold strawberries into batter.
- Using a large scoop or a spoon fill muffin cups about ¾ full.
- You can add extra strawberries to the top of the muffins if you like to make them more pretty!
- Bake 18-22 minutes.
- Let cool 3-5 minutes and remove to wire rack or counter to cool completely.