This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These tasty Peanut Butter Banana Brownies are rich and decadent with a luscious peanut butter swirl. A great easy-to-make recipe for those over ripe bananas.
Peanut butter and chocolate together is a no brainer, I have many recipes with that combo. This recipe however, has banana too! Banana and peanut butter go together great, banana and chocolate go together even better, when you combine them all, it's a glorious treat!
You can imagine my excitement when I was asked to make something different than my normal banana bread muffins with our overripe bananas. For some reason my children didn't want Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins this time. They wanted more of a dessert item, so they explained. I needed to use bananas, the kids wanted brownies, and Chad ALWAYS wants peanut butter, hmmmm.... see what's happening here? Bananas... Check! Chocolate Brownies... Check! Peanut Butter... check! That's how these bad boys were created, a little inspiration from everyone and a need to use some overripe bananas.
This post was originally posted on 4/14/2020 and updated on 2/12/2021.
Ingredients for Tasty Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Mashed Bananas
- Salted Butter
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Egg & Butter: To keep these brownies vegan, you can use a flax egg. To make a flax egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes until it has thickened. Replace the butter with ¼ cup applesauce. Using applesauce can make the brownie even more dense, so I would also add ½ teaspoon baking powder when creating a vegan version of this recipe.
- Flour: Whole wheat flour can be substituted in the recipe and is really good! If you would like it to be gluten-free, sub in a gluten-free flour made for baking.
- Peanut Butter: Any nut or seed butter will work with this recipe. I suggest using a creamy version of any type butter in order to make the swirls. Anything too crunchy and thick won't swirl.
How to make Peanut Butter Banana Brownies From Scratch
These brownies are super simple to make and come together quickly with the use of only one bowl! I like these kind of recipes, and so does Chad since he's the designated dishwasher at our house. Recipes with minimal dishes is always a win!
- In a large mixing bow, whisk together bananas, melted butter and sugar.
- Whisk in vanilla and egg until completely combined.
- Then stir in the cocoa and flour with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared 8x8 baking dish.
- Drop tablespoons of peanut butter on the brownie batter.
- Using a butter knife or chop stick, swirl the peanut butter into the batter.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 25-35 minutes. The less time you bake the brownies, the more fudgy and gooey they will be. The longer you bake them, the more cake like they will be. I prefer mine somewhere in the middle. I baked these brownies for 32 minutes, and they were just a touch gooey and perfect!
Is peanut butter and banana good together?
Well Elvis thought so! In all realness, it is a classic combination that has become very popular. If you have not tried it yet, give these brownies a try and see if you agree!
FAQ About Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
Store these brownies tightly covered on the counter for a few days, or in the fridge up to 5 days. The brownies will become more firm in the fridge.
Yes! Place the cooled brownies in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. These brownies do well being individually frozen too. Wrap each individual brownie in plastic wrap then place in a freezer safe container or zip top bag. To thaw, take brownies out a few hours before needed and thaw on counter.
More Peanut Butter, Banana and Chocolate Recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- No Bake Scotch-a-roos
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 8x8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the bananas, butter and sugar.
- Add in egg and vanilla and whisk until well mixed.
- Stir in flour and cocoa with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Evenly spread the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Drop the peanut butter by tablespoons on the brownie batter.
- Using a butter knife or chop stick, swirl the peanut butter into the brownie batter.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.