This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies are ooey-gooey and tender with dark chocolate morsels and delicious banana flavor in every bite. An easy and fun take on a banana bar recipe that will be a definite crowd pleaser!
This decadent blondie recipe cures all sweet tooth cravings. Seriously delish! The bars are a cross between a brownie and a muffin and so, so good! It is sweet enough for dessert, special enough for company and is a great way to use some bananas in a whole new way!
I also have a few more banana desserts up my sleeve! Check out these recipes for: Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Peanut Butter Banana Brownies, Banana Nut Bars, and Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This post was originally posted on 08/07/2018 and updated on 06/16/2021.
Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
- Salted Butter
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Ripe Bananas
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Brown Sugar: The only substitute would be Dark Brown Sugar. This will give the blondies a richer taste and a little darker color. Can not substitute with white sugar or the texture of the blondie will be all wrong.
- Salted Butter: I almost always use salted butter in baking, feel free to use unsalted butter and add an extra ¼ teaspoon to the batter.
- Whole Wheat Flour: I love the taste and texture that a little bit of whole wheat flour adds to baked goods. If you don't have any on hand you can sub with all purpose flour.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: using dark chocolate chips helps balance out all the sweetness in the blondies, but a good substitute would be semi-sweet chips or peanut butter chips.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
- Cream together the brown sugar and melted butter with a mixer or whisk it by hand.
- Add eggs one at a time whisking/beating well after each one.
- Stir in vanilla extract, salt and all purpose flour.
- Add the mashed bananas and stir until just combined.
- Stir in wheat flour just until mixed.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 sheet pan or baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes until the edges are golden brown, have pulled away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Let cool completely, then slice and serve!
How to Store Banana Blondies
Store these bars tightly covered at room temperature. If stacking, stack them between layers of parchment or wax paper to prevent any sticking. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days. You can also put them in the fridge if you need a few extra days, but note they tend to lose some of their moisture when stored in the fridge.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
These bars freeze beautifully. Once they are cooled completely, place them in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag between layers of wax paper. Or you can individually wrap the bars in plastic wrap and put in container or bag. Label, date and freeze. They will last in the freezer up to 4 months. To defrost let them sit at room temperature for a few hours.
A lot of different types of baked goods can be made with ripe bananas for example: muffins, quick breads, scones, cakes and cookies. Ripe bananas can also be added to pancake batter or oatmeal.
My favorite way to use old and ripe bananas is to peel them, cut them into thirds, flash freeze them and then add them to a freezer bag. Once frozen you can use them in smoothies or make a healthy and easy banana ice cream. Old bananas are also really good in baked good recipes.
Bananas will stay fresh in the freezer for at least 3 months. If frozen properly they will last even longer.
More Ways to use Ripe Bananas:
- Banana Belgian Waffles
- Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Squares
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Banana Pancakes with Fried Bananas
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Scones
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 sheet pan or baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar and melted butter using either a stand mixer or whisking by hand.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Mix in vanilla extract, salt and all purpose flour just until combined.
- Add mashed bananas and mix just until incorporated.
- Stir in wheat flour just until combined.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until edges are golden and pulling away from the sides, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Let cool completely, then slice and serve!