Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting has the most tender soft crumb with the fluffiest frosting. This is a delightful cake with irresistible creamy frosting that is super easy to make and a great way to use up some over ripe bananas.
This post was originally posted on 8/12/2020 and updated on 8/1/2022.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love This Banana Cake
- Great way to use overripe bananas.
- The cake turns out fluffy and soft!
- An easy recipe to follow and get in the oven quick.
- A family favorite dessert!
- The frosting is silky, creamy and amazing!
- It's also freezer friendly.
I love banana desserts, banana muffins and breads and I just love bananas. I like to change it up once in awhile from the classic banana bread, which is the bomb too!
Just saying.... I love me some bananas and this delicious cake is no exception.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- White Sugar
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Overripe Bananas
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Salted Butter: Unsalted butter can be used, but add ½ teaspoon of salt to the cake batter and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the frosting.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Sour cream would be a great substitute for the plain Greek Yogurt. If you don't have the plain flavor, you can also use Vanilla Greek Yogurt. I've used both with great results.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Pure extract is the best. It will provide a more natural flavor rather than the imitation vanilla extract that can leave an off putting after taste to the cake and frosting.
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: I prefer to use unbleached all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour for this cake. Whole wheat flour can be used but the cake will be darker in color and a bit more dense.
- Cream Cheese: I don't suggest substituting this ingredient. It really does make the best frosting. However, if you need to, you can use Neufchatel cheese or Mascarpone.
- Milk: The milk is used to thin out the frosting, you can use any milk you prefer. I use 2% cows milk because as a family that's what we drink and what is always in the fridge.
How to Make Banana Cake
- First, gather all your ingredients. It makes a huge difference when you are baking or cooking to have everything you need prepared. Now that you have all your ingredients, lets make some cake! Then heat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking dish or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- The first step to make this delicious cake is to combine the wet ingredients together. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with hand beaters, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Once it is fully combined, and the eggs one at a time beating well after each egg until fully incorporated.
- Then add the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Time to add the dry ingredients to the batter. Add the baking soda, salt and all purpose flour. Mix the dry ingredients in on low just until incorporated being careful not to over mix.
- Now, you can fold in the mashed bananas or mix on low speed just until combined.
- Spread the cake batter in prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the banana cake cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract, milk and powdered sugar one cup at a time beating well after each cup. Once all the powdered sugar is added, increase the speed on the mixer and beat for about a minute until the frosting is creamy and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
- Slice cake, serve and enjoy every bite!
Storing Old Fashioned Banana Cake
Storing Cake: Since the frosting on this banana cake has cream cheese and can spoil, it should be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator. With that, nobody wants to eat a hard, dried out piece of cake with stiff frosting which happens when stored in the fridge. I usually store my leftover slices of cake in the freezer and take them out 2-3 hours before I need them. The freezer will preserve the freshness of the cake and not dry it out.
Freezing Cake Slices: Place the individual slices of cake on a sheet pan and freeze them. Once they are frozen you can layer them between pieces of wax paper in a freezer safe air tight container or individually wrap them in plastic wrap and then add them to the container.
How to Make a Layered Cake
Cake: Follow all the directions and pour the batter into 2 parchment lined and greased 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at same temperature, 350°F, for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes, then turn them out of the pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Frosting: Double the frosting ingredients and proceed with the recipe instructions. Doubling it will provide enough frosting for the filling and outer edges of the cake.
Assembling: Once the cakes are cool, add a tablespoon or so of frosting to the bottom of a cake plate or cake board. Place one cake on top of the frosting then add about a ½ inch thick of frosting on top. Now place the other cake on top of the frosting. (Pro Tip: lay the top cake upside down so the top is nice and flat.) Finish the cake off by frosting the top and sides of the cake. Let the cake rest for about 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Tips for Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Use room temperature ingredients for the cake and frosting. It helps with even baking along with creating a smooth batter and a lump free frosting.
- Always fluff your flour, then spoon and level to measure. Do this when baking anything. It will help eliminate any extra flour from being added to the recipe. Too much flour in this cake will make it dry and unpleasant.
- Do NOT over mix the batter. If you over mix the batter the cake will turn out dense, rubbery and spongy.
- This recipe is for a 9x13 cake. You can use a glass baking dish or a metal cake pan.
- If your oven tends to bake unevenly, you can rotate the cake a little over half way through the baking time. It helps with even baking and keeping the top of the cake level.
- If you love cupcakes you can also make banana cake cupcakes with this recipe. Line the cupcake pan with paper or silicone liners and fill ¾ full and bake for 16-20 minutes. It will make around 24 cupcakes. Frost with the cream cheese frosting.
FAQs About Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
After the cake is frosted it can sit at room temperature for around 2-4 hours. Since the frosting on this banana cake has cream cheese and can spoil, it should be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator after that. The fridge can dry out cakes though so I prefer to store leftover cake slices in the freezer.
Banana loaf or banana bread is typically made in a loaf pan and will be more dense and firm in texture. Whereas a banana cake is either made in round or rectangle cake pans and will have a more fluffy and soft texture.
Most likely, your bananas were not ripe enough. Bananas become more sweet and flavorful as they ripen. The best bananas to use are yellow bananas that are covered in black spots.
Before frosting a cake with cream cheese frosting, make sure the cake is fully cooled. If you want to prep ahead, make the cake ahead of time and then frost it a bit before you need to serve it. This way the frosting is nice and fluffy still and there is no risk of the cream cheese frosting spoiling.
Other Delicious Banana Recipes to Try:
- Crumb Topped Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Pancakes with Fried Cinnamon Bananas
- Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies
- Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Banana Belgian Waffles
- Banana Scones
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking dish or cake pan.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer and large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the baking soda, salt and all purpose flour and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Fold in the mashed bananas or mix on low speed just until combined.
- Spread evenly in prepared baking dish.
- Bake in center of oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a stand mixer or with hand mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add in the vanilla extract, milk and powdered sugar one cup at a time beating well after each cup.
- Once all the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase speed and beat for about a minute or so until the frosting is creamy and fluffy.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake.
- Slice and serve!