This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies are a chocolate lovers dream come true! Rich and chewy brownies smothered in a sweet chocolate frosting! So easy, so chocolaty, and so incredibly delicious!
Who remembers frosted brownies as a kid? I was a kid of the 80's and 90's (I just aged myself, didn't I?) and I remember having frosted brownies with school lunch along with No Bake Peanut Butter Bars. School lunches when I was a kid were so good and mostly homemade! I send packed lunches to school with my kids and I try my hardest to keep it balanced. I l like to send them these Frosted Brownies, so they can have some sort of similar experience as I had as a kid eating lunch at school! No matter your reasons for wanting to make brownies, just make them! You'll be glad you did!
Ingredients for the Best Frosted Brownies
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup salted butter, softened
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk, any kind
How to Make Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies
Gather all your ingredients and tools, and get ready to make the best brownies ever!
To Make the Brownies...
First step, preheat the oven to 350° and either grease or line a 9x13 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl or batter bowl, whisk together the melted butter and cocoa powder. Then add the sugar and flour. Whisk just until the flour is almost incorporated. Next add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until everything is mix together. Don't be alarmed, the batter will be thick. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips. Spread the brownie batter into the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. For more fudgey brownies bake closer to 25 minutes, for more chewy brownies cook closer to 30 minutes.
To Make the Frosting...
Beat together the butter, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Next add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with the milk. Once all combined, increase the speed of the beater and beat for another 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
Finish the Brownies!
Once the brownies are done baking, let them cool for 10 minutes only. The brownies need to be warm to create the perfect crackled frosting. After cooling for 10 minutes, evenly spread the frosting over the brownies. An off set spatula works best for this! Let the brownies cool completely and then dig in!
Looking for some more chocolate recipes? Give these sweet treats a try!
Try these sweet and delicious Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies and let me know if it brings back any school memories in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Pin the recipe for later!
Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease or line with parchment paper a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large batter or mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add the sugar and flour, whisk just until its almost combined.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips and spread evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool only 10 minutes before frosting.
- Beat together the butter, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with the milk.
- Once all combined, increase the speed and beat 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- Spread evenly over WARM brownies and let cool completely.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!