This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
This Mexican Brownie Skillet Recipe creates the most fudgy and chocolatey brownies that have a pop of flavor from cinnamon and cayenne pepper. A rich and decadent treat that is incredibly delicious!
These brownies are a simple and satisfying dessert. Baking them in a skillet creates perfect crisp edges with a fudgy center that will keep you going back for more! If you've never tried Mexican Brownies, this recipe is a must try!
Ingredients for Mexican Brownie Skillet Recipe
- Salted Butter
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Cayenne Pepper
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Salted Butter: Unsalted butter can be used and add an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the brownie batter.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Dark cocoa powder can also be used, it's really delicious if you like dark chocolate!
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour can be subbed and will give the brownies a little nutty flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper: If you're worried about the heat, I'll assure you it is very subtle and leaves just a hint of flavor on the back of your tongue. You can substitute it with chili powder or add extra cinnamon if you prefer.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Sub in your favorite chocolate chips or chunks. Dark chocolate, white chocolate or even butterscotch chips will taste delicious.
How to Make Mexican Chocolate Brownies in Skillet
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl or in a medium size pot over medium-low heat.
- Next, whisk the cocoa powder into the melted butter until smooth.
- Then, add the sugar and whisk well.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract, until the batter is light and airy.
- Stir in the all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper just until combined.
- Lastly, fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread brownie batter evenly into a greased 10 inch skillet. Top with a few more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes just until the edges are set and just starting to pull away.
- Let cool 10 minutes and serve warm.
Tips for Skillet Brownies
- After adding the eggs, whisk like your life depends on it. The more airy the batter gets, the more crackly top you'll create.
- Before baking add some chocolate chips on top of the batter for even more chocolate indulgence.
- Be careful not to overbake the brownies. They are done when the edges are set and starting to pull away from the skillet. The brownies are best when fudgy, over baking them will create a more cakey texture.
- Best served warm topped with ice cream!
How to Store Mexican Brownies
If there are any brownies left, store them in an air tight container at room temperature. The brownies will stay fresh and fudgy for 1-2 days, but will last up to 4 days.
Other Brownie Recipes:
- Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownies
- Butterscotch Brownies
- Classic Brownies
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies
- Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies
- Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
Mexican Brownie Skillet Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 10 inch skillet.
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl or on the stove in medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
- Whisk the sugar in until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs and whisk until silky and airy.
- Stir in the all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into prepare skillet. Top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until the edges are set and starting to pull away from the skillet.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy warm with ice cream.