This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Peanut Butter Brownie Bars have a simple homemade brownie on the bottom with a creamy peanut butter filling and a dark chocolate ganache topping. A decadent and rich dessert everyone is going to love, especially the chocolate and peanut butter lovers!
This dessert is hands down the best peanut butter and chocolate combination I have created yet! Sweet deliciousness in every bite! It's a layer bar, but is so simple to make! It is a great make ahead dessert, and would be perfect for any BBQ, picnic or holiday celebration!
This post was originally posted on 7/8/2016 and updated on 10/18/2021.
Peanut Butter Brownie Bars Recipe Ingredients
- Salted Butter: Feel free to use unsalted butter and add ½ teaspoon salt to the brownie batter and ¼ teaspoon salt to the peanut butter filling.
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour works really well in this brownie recipe.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: We prefer a smooth peanut butter filling, but if you want a little crunch you can use crunchy peanut butter filling.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips can be used.
How to Make Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
- Star with the brownie batter, whisk together the melted butter and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add the sugar and combine well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until completely smooth.
- Stir in flour just until fully incorporated.
- Spread batter into a parchment lined and greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake brownies at 350°F for 20-25 minutes until the edges are started to pull away from the sides of the dish.
- Let brownies cool at least 15-20 minutes before adding filling and topping.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the peanut butter filling. In a stand mixer beat together the melted butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until everything is evenly combined.
- Dollop the peanut butter over the cooked and cooled brownies.
- Spread the filling out evenly over the brownies. Your fingers or an off set spatula works the best.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and cream together for 30 seconds. Melt in 10 second intervals after that if needed.
- Spread the chocolate over the peanut butter filling evenly. Work quickly because the ganache will set fast.
- Chill the bars in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
How to Store Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
Storing: These bars are best stored in an air tight container in the fridge. They can also be stored at room temperature, but we really like these better when they are chilled.
Freezing: Freeze bars in an air tight container or zip top bag between layers of wax paper for up to 4 months. These bars are great for freezing individually as well. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and then place in freezer bag or container. Remember to label and date the container or bag.
Thawing: Simply thaw the bars in the fridge or at room temp for a few hours before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- No need for any leavening agent in these brownies. It will make them puff up too much creating a cake like texture rather than chewy, so skip the baking powder and baking soda.
- Want a little crunch in these bars, try using crunchy peanut butter in the filling or adding a ½ cup of chopped peanuts to the brownie batter.
- Let the brownies cool before slicing. Slice with a plastic knife in one smooth cut, do not saw to cut the bars.
Other Sweet Dessert Bars:
- Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Butterscotch Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- Classic Homemade Brownies
- No Bake Scotcharoos
- Old Fashioned Frosted Brownies
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
Peanut Butter Brownie Bars
Peanut Butter Filling
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides.
- To make the brownies, in a large mixing bowl whisk together the melted butter and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Stir in the flour just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes and until the edges are just starting to pull away from the sides and the middle is no longer glossy looking.
- Let brownies cool for 15-20 minutes and start the peanut butter filling.
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, beat together the melted butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until everything is evenly combined.
- Drop dollops of peanut butter filling on top of the brownies. Spread it out evenly with your fingertips or off set spatula to cover all the brownies.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and cream together for 30 seconds, stir. Melt in 10 second intervals after that if needed.
- Spread the chocolate over the peanut butter filling evenly. Work quickly, the ganache will set fast.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- Slice and serve!