This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These No Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bars are simple and quick to make. They are a perfect after school snack or sweet treat to pack in lunches. These bars are a family favorite and will have everyone asking for more!
These bars are delightful! Honestly, you could even call them somewhat "healthy" because they are full of fiber from the ground flax-seed and they're sweetened with natural sugar...a.k.a. Honey! I definitely don't feel guilty when I eat one or two. They are a breeze to whip up with no baking required. Plus, I usually have all the ingredients in my pantry so I can make these anytime we need a sweet chocolate and peanut butter fix!
I love adding these bars to the kids school lunches for a sweet treat or sending them as a snack. The hubby likes having them at work too. I don't ever feel guilty sending these with my kids or hubby because they are a much better alternative to sugar filled and processed bars or treats.
This post was originally posted on 03/02/2017 and updated on 03/05/2021.
Peanut Butter Cereal Bar Ingredients
- Peanut Butter
- Brown Sugar, Optional
- Ground Flax-Seed
- Toasted Oats (A.K.A. Cheerios)
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Oil
- Peanut Butter: I have only made these bars with peanut butter, but you could substitute with any creamy nut or seed butter.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar can be omitted and replaced 1:1 with honey if you want to only use natural sugar.
- Ground Flax-Seed: Flax-seed can be omitted if wanted. I like adding it because it adds extra fiber and texture.
- Toasted Oats: Cheerios work best for the recipe, but puffed rice or corn flakes can be substituted.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Substitute dark chocolate chips with any chocolate chip you like.
How to Make No Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- In a large pot, combine honey, peanut butter, and brown sugar.
- Heat over low heat until the peanut butter is melted and the brown sugar is dissolved. Then remove from heat.
- Next, stir in the flax-seed and then the toasted oats (cheerios) until they are completely coated.
- Firmly press the coated cheerios into an even layer in a greased 9x13 dish.
- In a microwave safe bowl or double boiler, melt together the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate over the cheerios in an even layer.
- Let the bars rest until the chocolate has set.
- Slice into 24 bars and serve!
Tips for the Best Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
- Use coconut oil or butter to grease the pan. This won't alter the flavor the bars.
- Pack the bars firmly into the dish so they will stay together when they are sliced.
- Use plain toasted oats. The honey nut kind have added sugar and with the honey and little brown sugar in this recipe the bars will already be sweet enough.
- Instead of spreading the chocolate, you can make a pretty drizzle over the top.
- To help the chocolate set faster you can let the bars rest in the fridge.
FAQ About Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
These bars can be stored tightly covered on the counter or in the fridge.
I recommend using plain cheerios or multi grain cheerios. Other flavors will have added sugar and there is already enough natural sugar in this recipe.
These bars are definitely healthier than a processed granola or candy bar. With the addition of flax seed there is some extra fiber and protein. These cereal bars do have honey (natural sugar) but it is still sugar and I feel it should be enjoyed in moderation. However, I don't ever feel guilty eating these or giving them to my children.
More No Bake Desserts to Enjoy:
- Scotcharoo Popcorn
- S'mores Bars
- Scotch Cookies
- Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Raisin Cookies
- Cookies N Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Vanilla Ice Cream
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- In a large sauce pan, combine honey, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Heat on low until sugar is dissolved and peanut butter is melted.
- Stir in ground flax-seed.
- Stir in cereal and mix until all the cereal is evenly coated.
- Firmly press into a greased 9x13 dish.
- In a double boiler or microwave safe bowl, melt together the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Spread evenly over the the bars. Let rest until the chocolate is set. Bars can also be chilled in refrigerator to speed up the setting process.
- Cut into 24 bars. Enjoy!