This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, sweet and incredibly delicious. A great way to use up over ripe bananas and switch things up from the traditional banana bread loaf. Everyone is going to love these cookies!
If you are a banana lover these banana cookies are the next best thing compared to original chocolate chip cookies! It's a magical combination of banana bread and a chocolate chip cookie all in one bite.
Now I have to add I love bananas! I love banana bread and banana muffins and banana pancakes and banana splits and well... you get the point... I love bananas and I love baking with bananas. They are such a good, hearty and healthy ingredient to add to baked goods. Plus, they pair well with other ingredients like peanut butter, strawberries, pineapple, chocolate, caramel, and the list could go on... Do you see why I love bananas?
If you love bananas like I do, you might enjoy some of these other fabulous banana recipes: Banana Belgian Waffles, Banana Bread Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins, Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies, Banana Cake and Banana Scones.
This post was originally posted on 07/18/2016 and updated on 07/05/2021.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Salted Butter: I almost always use salted butter when baking, but you can substitute unsalted butter and add an extra ¼ teaspoon of salt to the cookie dough.
- Cinnamon: adding cinnamon to these cookies really brings out the banana bread flavor, if you like you can omit the cinnamon.
- Whole Wheat Flour: you can substitute all purpose flour for the wheat flour or use a blend of half wheat and half all purpose. I have also made these cookies using all whole wheat flour and they were super yummy.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: I took the classic route and used semi-sweet, but any chocolate will work. Dark chocolate would be delicious along with milk chocolate, white chocolate or even peanut butter chips will work.
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Next, beat in the vanilla extract and egg until fully combined.
- Then add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all purpose flour and mix just until combined.
- Mix in the mashed bananas just until incorporated.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and mix just until combined.
- Lastly, stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough 2 inches apart on parchment lined or greased cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies in a 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes and the cookies spring back in the center.
- Let cookies cool for 2 minutes on pan and then remove to cool completely.
Tips for the Best Banana Cookies
- Use over ripe bananas. Bananas that are yellow with brown spots.
- Be careful not to over mix the dough. Over mixing can lead to tough and dry cookies.
- Kick them up a notch and add in some chopped nuts. Walnuts are my favorite!
How to Store Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store the cooled cookies in an air tight container in between layers of wax paper. They will stay soft and fresh for at least 4 days at room temperature.
How to Freeze Banana Cookies
These cookies freeze beautifully both baked and raw. Add the baked and cooled cookies to a freezer safe air tight container in between layers of wax paper. To thaw, thaw for a few hours at room temperature.
To freeze the cookie dough, scoop the dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets and place sheet pan in the freezer. Once the dough is frozen, place in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. To bake the frozen cookie dough, add 3-5 minutes to the bake time.
More Delicious Cookies to Try:
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cowboy Cookies
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip & Walnut Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat until well combined.
- Next, add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all purpose flour and mix just until combined.
- Add the bananas and mix until combined.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until incorporated throughout the dough.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the middle springs back when touched.
- Let cookies cool on pan for 2 minutes then remove to cool completely.