This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins are healthy with no refined sugar, but loaded with flavor. A perfect option for breakfast, snacks, or packed lunches.
I've had this recipe in my arsenal for awhile now and am just getting around to sharing it. I love these muffins, and just because I say they are healthy does not mean they taste like cardboard. Healthy food can definitely be delicious if made the right way, and these muffins are so flavorful. They turn out fluffy with the most tender crumb every time. My kids love getting muffins in their school lunches, and these muffins are great to send with them. They freeze beautifully and can easily be pulled out the night before or the morning of to enjoy for breakfast, lunch or snacks.
Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffin Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Finely Shredded Carrots
Can I substitute the whole wheat flour in this muffin recipe?
Yes. I am asked this often, and you can use all purpose flour in place of the wheat flour. I like to use a blend of whole flour and all purpose flour when I make muffins or other baked goods because I like the flavor and texture it gives. Plus, it makes these muffins even more healthier. Or you can replace all the flour with white whole wheat flour, it is not as dense as whole wheat, is similar to all purpose but is also healthier than all purpose flour.
How to get Finely Shredded Carrots
I like to use a box hand grater for shredding the carrots. Use the side for finely shredding, it will be a bit smaller than the normal shred size you are probably use to. You can also use a food processor and attach the fine shredding blade. Either one will get you finely shredded carrots. You want the carrots fine so they will cook and soften enough during the baking process.
How to Make Applesauce Carrot Muffins from Scratch
Step 1: Make the Batter
In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, beat together the butter, egg, and vanilla. Then beat in the maple syrup and applesauce. The batter may look lumpy at this stage and that is perfectly ok. Next, add in the flours, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix just until it is all combined. Finally, fold in the carrots.
Step 2: Scoop the Batter
Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease the pan well with non stick spray. Using a large scoop (I love the Pampered Chef scoops!), scoop the batter into the muffin cups so they are ¾ full. This will make exactly 12 muffins.
Step 3: Bake the Muffins
Bake the muffins in a 350° oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes in pan and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store & Freeze Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins
Once the muffins are completely cooled place them in an air tight container or zip top bag and store on counter for 3-4 days. To freeze the muffins, add the cooled muffins to a freezer safe container or zip top bag. Label and date the contents and place in freezer. These will last 3-4 months in the freezer. Always make sure to rotate your stock in the freezer. To thaw, simple take muffins out the night before or the morning you are serving and let thaw on counter for a few hours.
Tips for Making the BEST Carrot Muffins with Applesauce
- Fluff your flour, then spoon it into the measuring cup and level off. This helps create fluffy muffins rather than dense ones.
- Make sure the carrots are finely shredded so they can soften fully while baking.
- Loosely fill the measuring cup with carrots, do NOT pack them, you don't want to have a stringy muffin.
- Use pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup. Pancake syrup is refined sugar.
- Do NOT over mix the batter, the muffins will be tough instead of tender.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and use all the batter. This recipe makes exactly 12 muffins.
- If you'd rather sweeten the muffins with honey, you can swap it for the maple syrup. Both are good options.
More recipes for the Muffin Maniacs like me!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Applesauce Mini Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Enjoy a healthy and flavorful breakfast or snack with these Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins and let me know what you think in the comments below and please leave a star rating! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Applesauce Carrot Breakfast Muffins
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots, not packed
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease it well.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand beater, beat together the butter, egg and vanilla.
- Add in the maple syrup and applesauce. The batter will look lumpy and that's ok.
- Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix just until it is all combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Using a scoop, fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.