This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Easy Blueberry Muffins are delicious and soft muffins full of juicy blueberries. These are some insanely yummy muffins that are great for breakfast, snacks and lunches!
Blueberry muffins happen to be one of my favorite muffins. I grew up eating them from grocery store bakeries and Sam's club. Perkin's muffins were always good too! As much as I loved those muffins growing up I really love making my own now, and they are so easy that it only takes a few minutes before they are in the oven and baking.
Ingredients Needed To Make Easy Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Canola Oil
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Course Sugar
How to make your own buttermilk?
No Buttermilk? No problem! You can make your own at home using lemon juice or vinegar and milk. I usually use lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring glass and fill with milk to the 1 cup line. Let milk sit for at least 5 minutes. You'll notice the milk will look a little curdled after 5 minutes and that is exactly what you want!
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
Either fresh or frozen blueberries can be used with this recipe. If using frozen, no need to thaw them! However, the baking time may need a few extra minutes.
Can I substitute the Whole Wheat Flour?
Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour with all purpose flour. You can even use all whole wheat flour. I personally like the half and half blend of the two flours, but you do what you like. You are the one eating them after all! 😉
How to Make Delicious Blueberry Muffins
These muffins are so simple and require no mixer. Simple recipes are my jam!
- First, preheat the oven to 350° and line a muffin pan with liners.
- Next, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. Then whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla extract followed by the oil.
- After that, in another bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet. Whisk just until incorporated being careful not to over mix. Lumpy batter is good batter.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Now, fill the muffin cups ¾ full using a large scoop or ¼ cupful. You can add a few extra blueberries on top of the batter for an extra pretty presentation.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How to prevent the blueberries from sinking?
To prevent the blueberries from sinking, toss them with a tablespoon of the mixed dry ingredients. Coating the blueberries will help them stay evenly distributed throughout the muffins.
How to prevent frozen blueberries from bleeding?
The most important thing is to keep the blueberries in the freezer up until it is time to add them to the batter. Remove 1 tablespoon of the mixed dry ingredients and set it aside. Before adding the blueberries to the batter, toss them with the tablespoon of flour mix before folding them into the batter.
How to freeze Blueberry Muffins?
Let the muffins cool completely, then place in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag. Label and date. These muffins will last in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Looking for some more great muffin recipes?
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Applesauce Mini Muffins
- Cheesy Corn Muffins
- Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
Give these delicious and tender Easy Blueberry Muffins a try and let me know how much you enjoy them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla followed by the oil until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of this mix and set aside.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk just until combined being careful not to over mix.
- To prevent sinking and bleeding toss the blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of mix that is set aside.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Use a large scoop or ¼ cupful and fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes and until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove and cool completely.