This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are light, fluffy and full of pumpkin flavor with the most delicious cream cheese swirl. An easy muffin recipe that is great for breakfast, snack or packed lunches!
These muffins are a simple and tasty recipe that is going to get rave reviews. A one bowl pumpkin muffin recipe then topped with a sweetened cream cheese swirl makes these muffins out of this world and drop dead gorgeous!
Make a double batch, because these muffins will not last long! Same goes for these Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Muffins, Apple Pie Muffins and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. All favorites among friends and family.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree
- Canola Oil
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cream Cheese
- Pumpkin Puree: For this recipe you want to use 100% pure pumpkin puree, it has no added ingredients. I do not recommend using Pumpkin Pie Filling, as it is already blended with a sweetener and spices.
- Canola Oil: Vegetable oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil or melted coconut oil can be used.
- Flour: I prefer a blend of all purpose and wheat flour, but you can use all white flour or all wheat flour with this muffin recipe.
- Cinnamon: If you would like a more spiced pumpkin muffin, you can substitute with pumpkin pie spice or add a little nutmeg and cloves with the cinnamon.
How to Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
STEP ONE: PUMPKIN MUFFIN BATTER
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract. Mix or whisk it together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix together until everything is fully combined.
- Using a large scoop, add pumpkin batter to a paper lined or greased muffin pan so they are about ¾ full.
STEP TWO: CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
- Using a stand mixer or hand beaters, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until its smooth and creamy making sure to scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Using a small scoop or a tablespoon drop cream cheese on top of the muffin batter.
- Swirl the cream cheese into the muffin batter by folding it using a toothpick, chopstick or butter knife. Less is more when trying to get the pretty swirls. 2-3 folds is all it takes.
STEP THREE: BAKE
- Bake the muffins in a 350°F oven for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Serve and Enjoy!
How to Store Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Since these muffins contain cream cheese I recommend storing them in the fridge or freezing them. It's better to be safe, than sorry. To eliminate any risk of food borne illness store the muffins in the fridge in an air tight container. They will stay fresh for 5-7 days.
These muffins are also freezer friendly, which is the way I like to store them. Once the muffins are completely cooled, add them to a freezer safe container or zip top bag. Label, date and freeze. To thaw the muffins, thaw them overnight in the fridge or for a few hours at room temp.
Tips and Tricks
- Always fluff the flour before measuring. This helps prevent any extra flour which can lead to a heavier and dense muffin.
- Be careful not to over mix the muffin batter, which can also lead to a heavier and dense muffin.
- Using a paper liner works best with these muffins. It helps keep the cream cheese swirl in the muffin rather than sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Use the scoops. It ensures that the muffins will bake evenly.
- I have found that folding the cream cheese swirl with a chopstick works the best. Fold it in by scooping the pumpkin batter over the cream cheese with the chopstick. Less is more when folding, 2-3 folds is all it takes to create the pretty swirl.
Other Delicious Pumpkin Recipes:
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
- White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Bundt Cake
- Frosted Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Fresh Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- Mini Pumpkin Donuts
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat or whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stir in the all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon until fully combined.
- Using a large scoop, fill muffin cups ¾ full.
Cream Cheese Swirl
- In a stand mixer or with hand beaters, cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat until smooth.
- Using a small scoop or a tablespoon, drop dollops of cream cheese on top of each muffin.
- Using a chopstick, toothpick or butter knife fold the pumpkin batter over the cream cheese 2-3 times to create a swirled top.
- Bake the muffins for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely.