This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones are a slightly sweet biscuit full of pumpkin, cinnamon, and mini chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack, or a packed lunch.
Do you make pumpkin everything in the fall? Yea me too! My family are huge pumpkin lovers. These scones are a great way to hit the pumpkin craving and not have it be super sweet. These scones are only a wee bit sweet, and so satisfying. Not only are they delicious, they freeze well too. So you can make a double batch, pop them in the freezer and have them on hand whenever you have a pumpkin craving.
Ingredients Needed to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Cold Salted Butter
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
Pumpkin Puree vs. Pumpkin Pie Mix
Pureed Pumpkin is pure pumpkin with no added ingredients whereas Pumpkin Pie Mix is already blended with a sweetener and spices.
If you love SCONES, here are a few more to check out!
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
Step 1: Make the Dough
In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla. Cube the butter and cut it into the flour mix using a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it resembles course crumbs. Stir the pumpkin mix and mini chocolate chips into the flour until everything is just combined. If needed, use your hands to fold the dough and bring it all together.
Step 2: Shape the Scones
Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and pat it into an 8 inch circle about 1 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or dough cutter (also called a bench scraper) cut the circle into 8 triangles. Arrange the triangles on the sheet pan so they are about 2 inches apart.
Step 3: Bake the Scones
Bake the scones in a 400° oven for 15-17 minutes until the edges are turning golden brown. Let the scones cool completely on the sheet pan before storing.
How to Store Pumpkin Scones?
Store the cooled scones in an air tight container or zip top bag on the counter. They will last on the counter for 3-4 days.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones?
Place the scones in a freezer safe container or zip top bag, between layers of wax paper. Don't forget to label and date the container or bag. Scones will stay fresh in the freezer for 3-4 months.
To thaw: Simply place on counter for at least 30 minutes.
Tips for Making the Best Pumpkin Scones with Chocolate Chips
- Use COLD butter. Cold butter is what creates the flaky texture.
- Use your hands or pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, leaving sheets or clumps of butter.
- Do not over mix the dough. Mixing the dough too much will create a dense and heavy scone.
- Fold the dough to bring it together. Folding the dough helps create layers and prevents the scones from being dry.
More Pumpkin Recipes You'll Love!
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Bundt Cake
- Glazed Mini Pumpkin Donuts
Give these delicious Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones a try and tell me all about how much you and your family like them in the comments below! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, pumpkin and vanilla.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour mix and cut it in with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it looks like course crumbs.
- Stir the pumpkin mix and chocolate chips into the flour, using your hands if needed to fold it all together just until everything is incorporated.
- Place the dough onto the sheet pan and pat into an 8 inch circle 1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles using a pizza cutter or dough cutter.
- Arrange the triangles on the sheet pan about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes and the edges are starting to turn golden brown.