Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones are a slightly sweet biscuit full of pumpkin, cinnamon, and mini chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack, or a packed lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
Why We Love These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- These scones come together quick with an easy recipe made from pantry staples.
- No stand mixer or hand beaters needed. This is a simple one bowl recipe.
- Typically they are wedged shape, but there is no law saying they have to be. You can make them circle with biscuit cutters or even go the super easy route and make drop scones using an ice cream scoop.
- Delicious warm out of the oven and just as delicious at room temperature. Make them even sweeter by adding a drizzle of vanilla or cinnamon glaze.
- Perfect for any occasion. Delicious for weekend brunch, weekday breakfast, snack or serving to guests.
- They are freezer friendly, make a double batch.
- The family loves having them packed in their lunches!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Scones Ingredients
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Cold Salted Butter
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour can be substituted. You can also a half and half blend of wheat and all purpose.
- Brown Sugar: Dark brown sugar is a good substitute. I prefer brown sugar in these scones, but if you are in a pinch you could use white sugar.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is my spice of choice. It doesn't over power the pumpkin flavor and gives just a hint of cinnamon flavor. If you like more spice flavors in your pumpkin recipes you could use pumpkin pie spice, or add a little bit of all spice, ginger, nutmeg or cloves.
- Cold Salted Butter: You can use unsalted cold butter. I suggest adding an additional ¼ teaspoon of salt to the dough. No substitute for cold butter. It MUST be cold, see tips below.
- Pumpkin Puree: Homemade or canned 100% pumpkin puree can be used. Be sure NOT to buy pumpkin pie mix. Pureed Pumpkin is pure pumpkin with no added ingredients whereas Pumpkin Pie Mix is already blended with a sweetener and spices.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Pure extracts are best to use. They provide the best flavor. Imitations extracts will leave an unwanted after taste in your baked goods.
- Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite chocolate! You can use white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. They don't have to mini chips, I just like the mini chips better. If you want your chocolate chips smaller you can give them a rough chop or a few pulses in a food processor.
Do you make pumpkin everything in the fall? Yea me too! These scones are a great way to hit the pumpkin craving without over indulging. These pumpkin scones are only a wee bit sweet, and so satisfying. Not only are they delicious, they freeze well too. So you can make a double batch, pop them in the freezer and have them on hand whenever you have a pumpkin craving.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Scones
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, large eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Cube the cold butter and cut it into the flour mix using a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it resembles course crumbs.
- Stir the pumpkin mix and mini chocolate chips into the flour mix just until everything is combined and chocolate chips are evenly incorporated. If needed, use your hands to fold the dough and bring it all together.
- Place the dough on prepared baking sheet and pat it into an 8 inch circle about 1 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or dough cutter (also called a bench scraper) cut the circle into 8 triangles. Arrange the triangles on the sheet pan so they are about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the scones for 15-17 minutes until the edges and bottoms of scones are just turning golden brown.
- Let the scones cool completely on the sheet pan before storing.
Storing Pumpkin Scones
Store the cooled pumpkin chocolate chip scones in an airtight container or zip top bag on the counter. They will last on the counter for 3-4 days.
Freezing Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
Place the completely cooled scones in a freezer safe container or zip top bag, between layers of wax paper. Don't forget to label and date the container or bag. Scones will stay fresh in the freezer for 3-4 months.
To thaw: Simply place on counter for at least 30 minutes.
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Scones with Chocolate Chips
- Fluff your flour before measuring. Flour can become packed and won't measure accurately which can make the scone dry and the dough hard to work with. Fluff it a few times with the measuring cup or use a whisk right in your flour container. Then measure and level off the flour.
- Use very cold butter, or even grated frozen butter using the large holes of a box grater. Cold butter is key to getting the flaky texture scones are known for.
- Use your hands or pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, leaving sheets or clumps of butter. You should still be able to see pea sized or sheets of butter.
- After the butter is cut into the flour, work quickly so the butter doesn't warm up too much.
- Do not over work the dough. Fold the dough until it comes together. This will create layers helping the scone to stay tender and flakey and prevent it from becoming too dry.
- Make these scones ahead of time and keep them covered with plastic wrap and chilled in the fridge until ready to bake. Prepared scones will last 1-2 days in the fridge.
More Pumpkin Recipes You'll Love!
- Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Bundt Cake
- Mini Pumpkin Donuts
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, pumpkin and vanilla extract.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour mix and cut it in with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it looks like course crumbs.
- Stir the pumpkin mix and chocolate chips into the flour mix, using your hands if needed to fold it all together just until everything is incorporated.
- Place the dough onto the prepared sheet pan and pat into an 8 inch circle about 1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles using a pizza cutter or dough cutter.
- Arrange the triangles on the sheet pan about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes and the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely on sheet pan before storing.