This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click HERE to read my policies.
These little beauties are delicious and everyone that tries them is going to fall in love with them. Mainly because they are full of pumpkin deliciousness and have the best brown sugar frosting! If you like pumpkin pie, or pumpkin bars, or pumpkin anything, you will love these delightful cookies. These cookies are great all year long too, not just for the holiday season. I use this recipe every year and will continue to use them year after year.
This post was originally posted on 12/05/2015 and updated on 12/14/2020.
I actually got the idea for this recipe out of a Christmas Cookie Taste of Home magazine and made my own little version of the recipe. Anyone else out there a Taste of Home fan? I actually get a lot of inspiration for recipes from their magazines along with all their cookbooks, and of course from all my other cookbooks. I won't tell you how big my cookbook collection is, but it's a few large bookcases and them some.
Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookie Ingredients
- Salted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
Pumpkin Puree vs. Pumpkin Pie Mix
Pureed Pumpkin is pure pumpkin with no added ingredients whereas Pumpkin Pie Mix is already mixed with a sweetener and spices. Make sure you purchase pumpkin puree for this recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Drop Cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting
Step 1: Make Cookie Dough
In a stand mixer or large bowl with hand beater, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Next, add the pumpkin puree and vanilla and beat until everything is thoroughly combined. Now add in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and 1 cup of the flour. Mix just until combined. Add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time, mixing on low after each addition.
Step 2: Bake Cookies
Using a small cookie scoop or a level tablespoon, place cookie dough 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake cookies in a 350° oven for 9-11 minutes until the edges are turning golden brown. Let cookies cool on pan for 2-3 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Step 3: Make Frosting
In a small saucepan, melt together butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes. Now transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl with the heavy cream and beat together until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time beating well. You can add less or more of powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency for spreading. Spread frosting on cookies with an offset spatula or butter knife. Let cookies hang out until the frosting has set and hardened, about a hour or so.
How to Store and Freeze Frosted Pumpkin Cookies
These cookies can be stored in an air tight container between layers of wax paper on the counter for up to a week.
Make them early when you aren't running around crazy busy, freeze them and pull them out when you need them. They freeze very well and taste just as good as when they were first baked.
Place the cookies in a freezer safe air tight container between layers of wax paper. Label and date the container and freeze for up to 4 months. To thaw, let sit at room temperature for a few hours.
More Holiday Cookie Inspiration!
- Peanut Butter Temptation Cookies
- Italian Almond Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Cuts Outs
- Chocolate Peppermint Drops
- Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gingerbread Men & Women
- Spritz Butter Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
If you or your family love pumpkin treats then these Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies are a must try! Give them a try and let me know how you and the family loved them in the comments below and give them a star rating! Pictures encouraged on Instagram with the hashtag #heathershomemadekitchen You can also follow me on Social Media to see what other crazy things my family and I are doing! If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later!
Frosted Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and 1 cup of the flour. Mix on low until just incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour, 1 cup at a time, beating on low after each addition until incorporated.
- With a small cookie scoop or level tablespoon, drop dough on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes and until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool on pan a for 2-3 minutes and then remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.
Brown Sugar Frosting
- In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar and butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and beat in heavy cream.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until completely mixed. Add more or less of powdered sugar depending on your preference of spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies with an offset spatula or butter knife and let cookies sit until frosting has set and hardened.